Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pacers721

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
hey everyone,
I bought the 15'' 2.4 mbp in august 07. In september 08, my screen died. I had it replaced soon after for like $400. According to apple, "No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on" is a sympton of the defective nvidia chips. I'm not sure what "no video means", but do you think I can get a refund?

apples explanation of defective chips: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
hey everyone,
I bought the 15'' 2.4 mbp in august 07. In september 08, my screen died. I had it replaced soon after for like $400. According to apple, "No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on" is a sympton of the defective nvidia chips. I'm not sure what "no video means", but do you think I can get a refund?

apples explanation of defective chips: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

Why don't you ask Apple ?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Refund? No.

Will they fix it? If it is caused by the faulty card, then yes, they should fix it for free.

Smurfed

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2007
Definitely call up apple, shouldn't have to pay for a free repair, most likely you wouldnt get a refund but maybe you can get it in a form of apple cards.

good luck.

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
"Apple is issuing refunds to customers who may have paid for repairs related to this issue. Please contact Apple for details on the refund process"

If they replaced the logic board you should qualify for a refund. That is what it sounds like they did to me. $400 seems cheap to me most people say it cost them like $800 just for parts for a logic board replacement.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
"Apple is issuing refunds to customers who may have paid for repairs related to this issue. Please contact Apple for details on the refund process"

My apologies, I missed the part that said the OP paid for a repair ...

Yes, you should get the refund.

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
If you had a graphic card problem they wouldn't have replaced the screen.

So your screen was defective, not the graphic card. The extended warranty is on the graphic card, not the screen, so no, you won't get a refund.

grayskyz

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Los Angeles
I wouldn't count it out....

My dad's iMac from 2007 had vertical lines running through the LCD screen. Way outside the warranty, no AppleCare and they replaced the screen under warranty. I just picked it up from the AppleStore and got it fixed for free. Why? The Apple Discussions forums had a lot of people complaining and basically, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I called and asked. I fought a bit and they caved. YMMV but, it's worth a shot. Worked for me!

C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.