Screen Difference between 15 and 17 Unibodies?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The JTizzle, Oct 11, 2009.

1. The JTizzle macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

Going to be replacing my '15 Core Duo MBP next month. The 15 inch screen has treated me well, but I have the cash to upgrade to the 17 if I want. I remember there was a time when the 17's screen just didn't hold up to a 15 in brightness and color, is this still the case or can I go big with out a risk of serious picture quality loss.

2. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Both screens are the same quality, but the 17" has more resolution. If you don't mind the extra footprint and weight, go with the 17".

3. 05slvrscape macrumors member

I just replaced my 15" C2D with the 17" unibody glossy and am very happy. I find I am much happier with the screen being a higher resolution. The colour gamut for the 17" screen is supposed to be much better if you are into photo or video you may notice that. I found the size difference not that large and weight difference is only about a pound. I prefer the express card slot over the sd card slot as I would never use the sd card slot.

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Best bet is to go to the apple store and give them both a shot yourself...

5. DFTU101 macrumors member

New Unibody 17 vs 15 screens

I have both the new unibody 17 inch MBP (early 2009) and the new 15 inch unibody MBP (mid 2009). The screens are about the same in brightness (both look great) but the 17 inch has a greater color gamut (enough to be noticeable side by side) and resolution quality. If you do a lot of graphics and photos, the 17 inch will serve you well. If you just word process, email, and web surf; just know text can be a bit small on the 17 inch due to the higher resolution-then I probably just get the 15 inch. Oh, I have the matte displays but glossy is great also (just personal preference).