screen difference between white and black ipad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kingdummkopf, Jul 24, 2012.

1. kingdummkopf, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

kingdummkopf macrumors member

so, i have a black ipad 3. mum has a white one. bought within two days of each other. i got mine from the apple store, she got her's from john lewis.

i didn't notice at first, but after closer inspection, and considering we have a couple of the same pics on the ipads, i noticed that the screens seems slightly different. i don't know if it's in my head, because of the different bezel colours, but the white's white reproductions seems brighter and more true, since mine seem to have a grey tinge on whites, and the contrast seems slightly better. sometimes it looks sharper as well. i dunno if this is all in my head though?

is there a difference, or do you think the bezel's are just throwing me off?

2. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Apple uses multiple component manufacturers, so it isn't out of the ordinary for two different iPads to have displays that have slightly different color hues. Rest assured, the display specs are one and the same.

Now, depending on lighting conditions, the bezel color can actually play a difference.

3. Eahdawn macrumors member

Really? :confused: This makes my want to buy a white iPad when I'm getting mine this week. Was getting black, now once again am confused.

4. kingdummkopf thread starter macrumors member

i took some pics of both screens with the same image on, and then again with a piece of paper with a whole cut out, placed on each ipad so the bezel wasn't a distraction. i'll take some pics later when it's dark with the same images on each scree and post them for you to see if you can see a difference, to help your decision.

i'm still unsure if am seeing a difference, on the camera it seems the same, but i haven't uploaded them to my pc yet.

5. Eahdawn macrumors member

Post 'em on here as soon as you can. Thanks man.

6. kingdummkopf thread starter macrumors member

i took them in pitch black, well, as best as i could, apart from the one with the dog. this just should give you a vague idea, if you want better pictures i can get them for you. the white ipad is on the right in all of the pictures. the colour that bothered me most on the screen was white, as i felt my ipad's white was a bit grey/dull. not sure now, been staring at them both for a while.

here's the album anyway, let me know what you think. hope the pics help.

http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj499/kingdummkopf/

7. RickD1225 macrumors newbie

Is the brightness set the same on each? Try taking them to 100% on each and see if you still see a difference.

8. kingdummkopf thread starter macrumors member

yup, they're both on full brightness. why, does it look like there is a difference? i genuinely can't tell any more.

9. Eahdawn macrumors member

Ermahgerd. I see a difference. You seem to have this Yellow tint on the screen that a lot of people complain about! Hopefully mine doesn't have this when I purchase. :confused:

Here is a thread about others with the same problem: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1342744

10. kingdummkopf, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

kingdummkopf thread starter macrumors member

hmm. i wasn't sure if i was imagining it. it's worse when i have an application that uses a white background on for a period of time.

would apple exchange it after i've owned it for three weeks? and would i get a new one or a refurb?

i don't know whether i should even look into replacing it, because it's noticeable, but not that noticeable. plus, i'd rather have a new one than a refurb. hmmm. what to doooooooooooo

11. kingdummkopf thread starter macrumors member

apologies for the bump.

can anyone see a genuine difference with the screens? i'm debating it, but don't want to make a wasted trip to the apple store for them to tell me it's fine and they won't replace it.

12. Eahdawn macrumors member

Yes! For definite! Tell them your exact problem, and that you want a new replacement! 30 day returns policy man, you're the one who spent the money, not them. Perfectly entitled to an exchange, and again on the next one if it doesn't meet your standards.

Make sure to tell us how you get on! :)

13. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Don't know what "standards" you have, but the screen tints barely differ. If there's no defects, why ask for a replacement?

It's your call, but if I were you, I wouldn't bother with it. Both screens look fine. Sure, there is a fine grain difference between the two, but it is barely noticeable.

14. kokhean macrumors regular

15. kingdummkopf thread starter macrumors member

ehh, i just spoke to apple. made an appointment at a genius bar for tomorrow. gonna take it in for them to look, see what they say. as i said, i wouldn't have noticed at all had i not compared it to my mums, just put me off a bit considering i spent nearly 500. am not looking for perfection as such... but i'll check with them tomorrow.

16. JAT macrumors 603

The first reply says it all. Those pics look pretty similar. The bezel absolutely makes a difference to your eyes, you may have noticed the black surroundings at any movie theater. Black increases contrast, as that measurement is affected by surroundings. I'm not exactly sure what positive effects white might have. Could possibly research.

17. davedvdy macrumors regular

From my experience and a few others, the white actually seems to reduce eye strain. I prefer the picture quality with the black iPad but noticed how my eyes would tend to water and "heat up" even with the backlight set appropriately.