Screen dim/sleep query, syslogd fix

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sulzer, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Sulzer macrumors newbie

Hey guys, first time poster long time prowler :p ... First, I've got a question maybe you all can help me out with. I like the screen's power saving features, but I also like my non-apple-played video streams. As you probably know, these two things clash rather obnoxiously. So, I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to turn off/on screen dim/sleep at will without having to navigate through Energy Saver... Here's two ideas that I have, but I don't know if these things exist or not:

- Third-party energy optimization with multiple custom profiles, switchable from the menu bar (or hotkey!)

- Some hotkey enabled Automator solution

How do you guys cope?!?!

Second, I've got a solution for anyone suffering from the dreaded "rampant syslogd process." This has been plaguing me for several weeks, and it was not associated with Time Machine. My battery life suffered horribly from this because of high CPU usage, and my MBP was running at an average of 72C! (A guy at the Genius Bar said this was normal... right) I've tried several Terminal hacks that messed around with the log file that the process wrote to, but nothing ever helped... until last night! Here's the fix that worked for me... I now enjoy longer battery life, a 20C cooler case, and a more efficient CPU. Here's the link:

http://weblog.markbao.com/2008/mac-os-x-fix-high-cpu-usage-by-syslogd/

(sorry if either of these have been asked/posted before)

2. Sulzer thread starter macrumors newbie

3. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian