Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
Hmmm...every once in a while when I open the cover to my iPad Pro 9.7 the screen is dimmed out and nothing will wake it up other than to turn it off with the on/off button and slide to open.

What's the deal with that? Anybody have this happen?

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
285 views...no responses.

I suppose my iPad is a probable mess. :(

Trouble is I can't reproduce the problem. It happens when it wants it to happen. :mad:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
So you're saying that when you open the smart cover sometimes the iPad doesn't wake up (display is black), but it wakes up when you press the power button?

If so, it may just be an occasional hiccup with the magnets in the device that detect the magnet on the cover. If you can't reproduce it I assume it doesn't occur frequently.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
So you're saying that when you open the smart cover sometimes the iPad doesn't wake up (display is black), but it wakes up when you press the power button?

If so, it may just be an occasional hiccup with the magnets in the device that detect the magnet on the cover. If you can't reproduce it I assume it doesn't occur frequently.

No he's not saying that. I had the same exact problem after an iOS upgrade. What happens is that the screen is dimmed instead of off.

OP a reboot (press and hold power and home button) fixed it for me. I was worried as well. It has not come back after the reset.

Reactions: ^^BIGMac

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
No he's not saying that. I had the same exact problem after an iOS upgrade. What happens is that the screen is dimmed instead of off.

OP a reboot (press and hold power and home button) fixed it for me. I was worried as well. It has not come back after the reset.
Yes the is what happens.

Pretty sure I've done a hard reset before but I will do it one again.

And no, it doesn't happen often but it's a little worrisome when it does because its just not right! :(

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
It's kind of futile to take it in if I can't reproduce the problem...right?

I was thinking that maybe they can run some sort of diagnostic, or if you're insistent enough, maybe they'll simply replace the unit since it's still under warranty. Have you tried searching YouTube to see if anyone has a video of the problem occurring on their iPad? You could use that to at least show them what you mean. They may have encountered it before.

Reactions: ^^BIGMac

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
I was thinking that maybe they can run some sort of diagnostic, or if you're insistent enough, maybe they'll simply replace the unit since it's still under warranty. Have you tried searching YouTube to see if anyone has a video of the problem occurring on their iPad? You could use that to at least show them what you mean. They may have encountered it before.
Good idea. I'll look around.

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
Only thing I could find is some guy who wants to take the logic board out and start hacking on it. o_O

Not sure it was even the same problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.