Screen dimming by itself when set not to: VERY annoying bug

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EvryDayImShufln, Nov 1, 2007.

1. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Am I the only one who has this problem? I set my screen so that it will not dim itself before sleep, yet it still does this. Tiger used to have the same problem, and now Leopard has it to an even further degree. At least with Tiger, it would do it, but going into settings and ticking it on, then off, would temporarily fix the problem.

Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know of a fix?

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

That's DIM BEFORE SLEEP. Not dim when inactive. AFAIK.

3. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

That may be so, but it is still unticked meaning it should not happen, yet does anyway.

4. Alloye macrumors 6502a

Hmmm... I had this problem all the time with Tiger. I'm not seeing it at all with Leopard.

5. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Dude. What is it? That tick box is to tell your system to dim the screen before your system goes to sleep. It has nothing to do with inactivity dimming, as far as I know. From what I read is the dim before sleep happens in half the time your sleep setting is. So if your Mac goes to sleep an hour after inactivity, the dim function should not kick in until 30 minutes of inactivity has passed.

6. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Yeah but what I'm saying is I've INACTIVATED the function to dim the screen before sleep. Forget about inactive dimming, I NEVER want my screen to dim, and even when i UNTICK it, it still happens.

Anyhow my temporary solution is to set the screen sleep to "never". But honestly, it's a very annoying bug because when I want my computer to stay on overnight I definitely don't want my screen to be on. And I dont want the screen to dim after 5 minutes (when screen sleep is set to 10) even if I'm not using my computer, because I may still be referring to a graph or something during that time.

7. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Yes, but the dim before sleep and inactive are entirely different functions as far as I'm concerned.

Turn your screen sleep to never, and then set a hot corner to sleep when you move the mouse into the corner. problem solved until apple 'fixes' the issue. :confused:

8. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I get that aswell. It is a known problem by Apple - they state that after a restart you have to tick and then tick off the box.

That was for Tiger though (the article is on the Apple website somewhere), I'm disappointed they haven't fixed that for Leopard.

9. gorby macrumors 6502

cool, glad i'm not seeing things then

i just shut off/on my new imac for the first time since i got it and experienced this

it's a minor 'issue' if there ever was one, but it should be a simple fix...? and it's been around for a long time apparently

10. Mister Ed macrumors newbie

Mister Ed

Work-around for Mac Screen Blanking Bug

My laptop was doing the identical thing after upgrading to Leopard.

Here's what fixed mine:
    1) Open System Preferences> Energy Saver
    2) Select "Settings for:" Power Adapter (Pull-down menu).
    3) Run both sliders to Never.
    4) Close System Preferences.
    5) Repeat steps 1 though 3, except run the sliders back to what you wanted.
    6) Close System Preferences.

Hope this works for you too!

11. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Yeah I posted couple times about that "feature" :D I think it dates back to Panther.

Mister Ed: Your method doesn't work for me

12. Mister Ed macrumors newbie

Mister Ed

Alternate Work-around for Screen Blanking Bug

I read this work-around on another website:
    1) Open System Preferences> Energy Saver
    2) Options Tab> Other Options:
    3) Uncheck Automatically reduce the brightness...
    4) Reboot the Mac.
    5) Repeat steps 1-4 except recheck the Automatically reduce the brightness...

I didn't try this method, since my Mac worked with the other fix.

Good luck!