Screen dims while plugged in playing music

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by murdoc158, Dec 22, 2011.

1. murdoc158 macrumors regular

As stated, when I'm playing music through the music app and have my phone plugged and charging, the screen dims after about a minute. However, if I'm listening to Pandora or a podcast on Downcast, the screen stays lit at all times. Am I missing a setting to change this?

2. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

It's not a setting, those are just completely different apps. Apps can work any way they want - keep the screen on, or don't. I don't know of a way to change the way the Music app dims the screen.

3. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

In the settings app, do you have auto-brightness turned on?

4. murdoc158 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes

5. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

6. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

If you turn auto-brightness off, does the screen still dim when you're plugged in and playing music?

7. murdoc158 thread starter macrumors regular

There is no point in saving battery life if I'm connected to a charger. :rolleyes:

Sure does.

8. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

Auto Brightness is a setting that automatically adjusts the brightness level based on ambient light levels. It does not affect dimming settings.

Have you tried changing the Auto-Lock Setting under Settings->General? I'm not sure if that would do it, but you could try it.

9. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

I don't understand what exactly the problem is. Dimming the screen while music is playing and plugged in saves the backlight life. There is no setting to automatically turn it off while it's plugged in and listening to music. You can simply touch the screen and it'll light back up. Pandora and Downcast have settings (I think) to automatically turn the screen off or keep it lit up while plugged in. Auto brightness has nothing to do with what you're asking.

10. mylios101 macrumors newbie

That's a normal behavior of the iOS music app. Mine and every iOS device does it.