iPhone XS Max Screen Display Issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aydy, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Aydy, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019

Aydy macrumors 6502

Aydy

I knew my XS Max was leaning on the warmer side & assumed they were all equally warm but went to apple store to have a look anyway. The guy i spoke with said it looked fine and just something apple had implemented into new Oled displays.

I was on my break and didn’t have much time to compare all store devices but the couple that I did quickly glance over definitely seemed to be far brighter than mine at max brightness. Whites also looked like white, on my device whites have a yellowish, Murky tone. White almost looks dirty..Anyway i left the store dissatisfied and last night I compared my max along side my iPad and a galaxy A70 and was really apparent how grubby the max display looked.

I’m sure this question has been asked countless times before & you guys are done explaining BUT..Does my display seem off or is this normal for these oled iPhones? I personally find looking at the display unappealing. What do you guys think?

Edit:
    True Tone is Off. Night shift is Off.

Auto Brightness disabled and white point disabled.

All 3 devices are set at 50% brightness

Xs max is centre. F7ACE50F-5B9E-40C6-8D75-F43A7AB54CA7.jpeg

2. now i see it macrumors 68040

It's messed up &  won't fess up to the fact. It should look white. Maybe warmish white, but not have a noticeable tint to it.

3. Aydy thread starter macrumors 6502

Aydy

I probably would have gone along thinking the XS max was a super powerful device but with a sub par display and thought that was just the way of things. It was only when I compared it side by side with other iPhones and then my iPad & the galaxy device that it became apparent how abnormally skewed it looked.

4. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

This reminds me when I showed Apple staff the rainbow effect when scrolling through webpages with huge bold fonts on an iPad Pro, with ProMotion and True Tone and night shift. They did not even hesitate and immediately requested a replacement. I then tested that it was common for devices with warmer night shift and True Tone to see rainbow effect when scrolling.
    As of yours, this is definitely not normal. If you can see similar effect when scrolling through this page (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/lic...windows10?activetab=windows10-pivot:primaryr3), go to Apple store and ask for assistance.
    Funnily enough, I do not see that crazy rainbow effect now when I scroll through the same page.

5. Aydy thread starter macrumors 6502

Aydy

EA5E9799-A3BA-48C9-BC3C-B6A0944AFDE3.png Yes, I think I’ll make a genius appointment. It’s a lot of cash to lay down on the phone and I’m not really enjoying the iPhone experience I’ve had with other iPhones I’ve owned. I thought oled was an upgrade (I’m sure it is for many) I however feel it looks similar to an old note 2 device I have that is badly screen burned and has turned an off putting yellow colour. This iPhone display kinda looks similar.

Incidentally, I did reach out to apple support on twitter and showed them the image and they recommend I turn on the colour filter option. I can’t get it to anything remotely white or even acceptable white-ish. I’ll keep messing with it but any tips on using this feature would be appreciated if anyone uses it?

6. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

It is a interesting trade off, but not really an “upgrade” per se. I use both iPad Pro and iPhone XS Max, and I can barely tell the Color difference between them.
    Ok maybe not “barely”, but not something that I will heavily favour OLED over LCD. iPhone screen is also too small to really do heavy web browsing or certain gaming.

7. Aydy thread starter macrumors 6502

Aydy

My tv is oled and it often produces quite breathtaking picture quality. Sometimes a scene will play out in a movie & I am instantly reminded of the benefits of oled vs lcd/led etc. However I agree with you on trade off and the differences on smartphone screens are minimal to negligible.

The one disappointing trade off I am noticing on this particular Xs max, which I can only assume is due to the display defect is that my home screen icons & wallpapers do not pop (colour) as they should. Everything seems cast with a dull hue :confused:

8. lostOzone macrumors newbie

I have had similar issue last year when I bought a second IPhone X. Side by side comparison showed a clear difference.
    Apple Premium Reseller replaced it.

[​IMG]

9. squizzler macrumors regular

squizzler

Just shows that Samsung are not great at displays.

10. Tsepz macrumors 68030

Tsepz

They are probably the best, AMOLED production is very complex and for every 1 good panel there are tons that are rejected, every AMOLED manufacturer has these issues, but they tend to be less prevalent amongst Samsung displays as they have the best process right now, however as with anything human made, not every unit is perfect.

I believe BOE Is hot on Samsung’s heels though.

11. Aydy, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019

Aydy thread starter macrumors 6502

Aydy

Curious, So from my image above do you think the A70 Samsung (on the right) Looks worse than my max? It’s interesting because the first thing I commented when my son showed me the Samsung was how impressive the display looked. I’m assuming my Xs max is just a lemon because I’ve seen others who don’t have these issues.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2019 ---
    I can see it. The x on the right has IMO the less desirable tone although it still looks decent. It looks more creamy coloured white as opposed to yellow. Mine looks pink or red-ish from the image I posted but in person it shows more a yellow shift throughout.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2019 ---
    Something I have noticed that makes me think my display has the ability to be what is considered normal. While messing with True Tone I have discovered that if I pull down control centre and switch both TT and Night shift on for around 30 seconds then switch both off my screen goes to looking almost perfect. Whites are no longer yellow as it appears to favour a cool tone “initially” but then gradually changes the shift back to yellow.

It looks great for around 5 minutes and then for whatever reason the calibration of my particular max’s comfort zone rests in the overly warm.

I’m now wondering if my ambient sensors or the TT sensor in particular has an issue. It seems to be working somewhat even when disabled. Like a background monitoring of my phone’s colour temperature. I want to let it know that I don’t like what it thinks is right. Other than disabling TT & NS is there anything I can do to keep the initial cool tone that results from cycling TT/NS on/off?

12. lostOzone macrumors newbie

Anyway side by side with another iPhone it should tend toward the same white with truetone. If not it should be replaced.