Screen Doesn't Turn off When Closed- MBP 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bennygoodx, Apr 28, 2009.

1. bennygoodx macrumors newbie

Hey guys- I have a new 15 mbp, and about half the time I shut the thing the screen doesn't turn off. Then I go to pull it out of the case and it's really warm and the screen seemed to eventually shut itself off (possibly overheating?).

Is this thing a ticking timebomb and will eventually need replacing? Anyone had experience with this?

Thanks,

2. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

For your issue I'd recommend calling Apple. I haven't had an issue like that, but I have had something similar.

Sometimes when I shut the lid on mine, it will goto sleep just like normal. However, when I open the lid to turn it on, the computer will turn on, but my screen is still off. After this the notebook will not goto sleep if I close the lid, so I'm forced to do a hard reset (hold the power button).

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

When you close it, you need to allow it time to write memory content to disk (in case of loss of power), so you can't move it right away. If you move it right away, then sudden motion sensor will interrupt the disk write and possibly sleep.

4. bennygoodx thread starter macrumors newbie

They said I have a bad sensor and have to replace the top component (lid and screen). It will sleep if I hard reset it, and then after several uses it has difficulty sleeping again.

Bye bye to my computer for 7 days while they repair it.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Have you tried to reset SMC and/or PRAM? SMC handles sleep/wake processes so that might be the problem.

6. bennygoodx thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I do this? Can anyone give me advice?

Thank you so much!

7. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

let it go and maybe it will melt the keyboard like that one guys hahaha