Screen door effect

Discussion in 'iPad' started by snowmoon, Apr 3, 2012.

1. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Anyone else having the hardest time going back to the laptop or earlier generation iPad, it takes me a good 30 minutes before I stop feeling like I'm looking through a screen door at the screen.

2012 iPad is spoiling me for any other display except the 27" iMac.

:eek:

2. MR1324 macrumors 6502

you're sitting too close.

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I feel the same way. I love how the new iPad looks almost like a printed page. The lack of screen door effect makes even non retina apps look a lot better imo

4. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

Luckily for me, my new iPad, the 27 iMac, a 1080p TV and iPhone 4 are the only screens I use on a daily basis.

5. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Lol I thought I was the only one feeling like this. I too feel that I have been spoiled by this display, but I'm happy to know that I like it more than I was hoping for and use it more than my laptop a bit now.:eek:

6. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

Yeah it gets annoying to go back to my MacBook Pro. Everything looks blurry as if someone smeared grease on the screen. How long before Retina laptops?

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

My 13" MacBook Air still looks okay. I don't really notice a difference in how I perceive it after using the retina iPad.

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Maybe I just need to switch out this pair of contacts, but I'm not seeing this effect that you guys are. When I use my iPad, I'd guess it's about a foot and a half from my face. But when I use my MBP/22" monitor, I'd say I'm roughly two and a half feet from the screen. It might be because of my viewing distances, but I don't have problems switching back and forth. All three screens look great to me.

9. aristotle macrumors 68000

aristotle

Man, I am noticing it at work especially because I use a company issued Lenovo thinkpad and cheap 1080p monitor.

That effect you describe is even more noticeable switching to a windows machine because of the atrocious clear type font smoothing that Windows 7 uses whereas the font smoothing in OS X seems to be more pleasing to the eye.

10. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

Yes. Can't wait for an MBA with retina display!

11. Sowelu macrumors regular

Sowelu

The ‘Screen Door Effect’ is a very specific issue with notebook LCD panels where it looks like there is a screen mesh grid overlay. This isn't the norm on all LCD panels.

This was an issue with LG panels back in the day, I didn’t know it was still around. None of my MacBooks show the screen door grid and are all very clear.

But yes, after looking at a retina iPhone and iPad, both my ‘Hi-Rez’ MacBooks don’t look so sharp anymore.

12. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

When I first got the job I have now, I was really impressed by my really nice dual widescreen monitors. No longer.

13. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I don't know. My MBP 13 still looks pretty good to me. Certainly not a screen door.

14. Yggbert macrumors regular

1080P PC monitor still looks great to me, so does my 1440x900 Air screen.