Screen dust and Apple store experience

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by docal97, Aug 22, 2008.

1. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Just wanted to relate my experience with Apple for other users who may find it informative/helpful.

My 3g had several areas of dust under the screen. I took it into the store and the Genius agreed to relace it no problems at all. I asked him on the spot to check the new phone b/c I have heard of people with alot of various problems with the phone as detailed on this forum and i don't live near by and didn't want to have to drive all the way back if there was a problem, etc., etc. He looked at me and said something like, "why would i need to do that, the phone is brand new." so i said ok and left. What a big mistake on my part to just leave without a thourough inspection, but honestly, i have had such good success with Apple products that i didn't think that it was necessary.

So i get back to my office about an hour later and take the wrapping off the phone and of course their is something under the center right of the screen. I'm just so pissed at this point of course. So i call right back and they agree to see me that night. So the guy at the Genius bar is looking and scrubbing at the screen and says finally, it's not dust, not a dead pixel and not a scratch but a defect in the screen which is within specs? but he will replace it this one time but if the next one is similar, he won't do it again. So I say ok, and he goes to get another one, but this one he checks and says immediately, "uh oh, there's a huge piece of dust on the screen" and goes and gets another one which is ultimately fine.

He was good about the whole thing, but i mean c'mon, what's going on with the workmanship of this new phone? I never had this issue with the 1st gen, that's a 1st gen product! He says the screen is made differently now, as we are all mostly aware of, but how long can they continue to make it this way with all of these issues? But the new one is totally great, it's a week 33 and came with 2.01 installed. Interestingly, the one i brought back was a week 32with 2.0. Both were brand new, no question about that. Overall though, i keep loving this phone, but i hope the software kinks are finally worked out with the next update!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

original iPhone: LCD, touchscreen are glued together, no dust, but more expensive to repair if you are out of warranty.

iPhone 3G: LCD and glass covering are separate components. Cheaper to repair if you are out of warranty.

3. danielforman macrumors regular

I am on my 5th iPhone 3G and taking to the Apple Store on Tuesday to see a Genius. First one I had sleep/wake button came loose and all replacements had dust under the glass and other defects such as rough edges, cracked casing and/or light leak. They need to sort this issue out quick.

4. docal97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

docal97

yeah no doubt, i was thinking in the store(but didn't ask), how many of these phones are being returned for dust, etc if it took me 3 to get a good one.

5. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Every time I see someone say they have replaced their phone 5 or 6 times, I want to go buy lottery tickets.

All these people going through 3,4, 10 phones supposedly.. and me with a perfect one from the get go.. What are the odds?

I feel lucky lucky lucky!

6. Aznsensation45 macrumors regular

lol

ya, i said this too like 2 weeks ago. Now i have dust under my screen. =( fricken karma...always gets to you!!

7. Red Sox macrumors regular

Yeah, i thought I was one of the lucky ones too, until a HUGE speck of dust appeared right in the middle of my screen, after using the phone for 1 month.

8. taphil macrumors regular

The other problem with the 3G iPhone is that although the LCD isn't glued to the glass cover, there's also no rubber gasket between the LCD and glass. Rather, the LCD just sits on the glass. Thus, dust is free to enter the phone (via headphone jack or dock connector) and eventually get in behind the glass.

9. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I recently replaced my iphone because it had dust, light leakage and dead pixels

my new phone has no dead pixels but just as much dust and light leakage

in short, its not worth it to replace your phone if it has slight amount of dust or light leakage, your new phone could be WORSE