Screen Edge Function

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nickk2, Jun 5, 2010.

1. nickk2 macrumors member

Using Win 7 a lot, I got very used to the snap to screen edges feature (the ability to drag a window to a side and have it auto size itself to fit well there).

This would obviously not work in Mac however, Apple could do something very similar to this though, but would utilize their unique application: spaces. Something I'd very much enjoy.

Since getting my brand new quad-core mac a couple days ago, I've found myself really liking the spaces application, but wouldn't it be cool if you could drag a window to a screen edge and have it send to the adjacent space?

Seems pretty simple, you have a firefox window open in Space #1, you drag it to the far right until your mouse is touching the edge, a message pops up telling you the window will be sent to the space next to it, and when you release the mouse the window is moved to that space (which would be Space #2).

Similarly, dragging the window to the bottom of your screen would send it to the space below (Space #3). Dragging it to the top of your screen in Space #3 would send it to Space #1, etc. etc.

What do you guys think about something like that?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It already works like that. It just doesn't give a notification, that your window has been moved to the next Space, it just brings you with it.

Just grab a window, drag it to whatever edge, hold a while there (less than two seconds) and see for yourself. But that may only work with 10.6.

Also have a look for BetterTouchTool and some other add-ons to enable that snapping feature.

See the attached .zip file for an .mp4 (three seconds) video of that behaviour. The .zip file is around 230KB in size.

Attached Files:

3. nickk2 thread starter macrumors member

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So you just want it to be sent there, but still remain in the same space?

Look at my earlier post to see an example video.

5. nickk2 thread starter macrumors member

Ah, it's a spaces settings that I did not have enabled. It works like that now though.

That's kinda what I was thinking, but not exactly. I want it to not take you with it, because I would use this for the purpose of basically organizing my active programs. Like, if I have a window open that is kind of in the way, I just wanna throw it off the screen you know? Obviously I could minimize it, but I'd prefer putting it in a space to mess with later.

Perhaps be default it works like that, but if you hold ctrl while you drag the window to the edge, then it takes you with it to the new space?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I tried CMD, OPTION/ALT, CTRL and SHIFT and its two key combinations and it didn't work like you want to, which would be nice.

Maybe drop Apple a line or two about it here:
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html .

7. nickk2 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link, just sent them a message.