Screen estate...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benmandv, Aug 25, 2010.

1. benmandv macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've been an avid reader of this forum since last year but thanks to the search function, I've never had to post anything untill now. Basically, I just want some advice...

I've got a Macbook Pro 13" (late 2009) and am in need of an external display. I mainly work in Logic, so screen estate is becoming a bit of an issue now.

I am looking at the Apple Cinema 24" display, but I think it's priced rather excessively in my opinion. With the new arrival of the ACD 27" coming in September, and the 'old' displays being discontinued, would there be any chance of Apple selling the old displays to clear? (We all like a bargain, right!)

I would also like to run an xbox 360 through the said display very occasionally, but have read that this proves quite difficult to implement with an ACD, can anyone shed any light on this?

I was also checking out a few monitors of similar size by various manufactures (LG, Samsung etc) but under first impressions, the display/colours seem a lot less sharp and vibrant than the ACD. Any suggestions of worthy monitors would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Ben.

2. DUDEMANGUY5 macrumors regular

I just got a LG monitor yesterday, It is amazing.

It is the 21.5" LG Flatron W2253 VP 1080p HD
    It is on sale at OfficeDepot this week for $150, comes with a HDMI input, VGA Chord and input, DVI-D Input, and a headphone/speaker output (for the HDMI)

Works great with the 13" Macbook Pro and it supports 1080p

AWESOME

3. rk25123 macrumors regular

The Apple LED Cinema Display is overpriced (well, like all Apple products). It has an excellent build quality, but it mounts an LG LCD panel you can find for 300$-400$ rather than CD's 850$. The colors are more vibrant 'cause of the glossy display. If you could find a LG glossy monitor you would have essentially the same specs and lot more connectivity (that's a plus if you're going to use it also with a xbox) for less than half the price. The only thing you'll be missing is Jony Ive's design.

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

there have been people who had issues with LG moniters and TVs permanently not recognising their macs at all, but working fine with anything else.

just a heads up

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

And the built in magsafe adapter.

6. rk25123 macrumors regular

True, but quite negligible. You'll miss also the Mini DisplayPort connector and three USB ports, but you'll get 2 HDMI, 1 DVI-D & more.

7. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Apple LCDs are quite excessively priced, go for a Dell UltraSharp of some sort. Great IPS displays for a fraction of the price. Been using a 2209WA and a U2311H for the last year, simply can't say enough good things about them.

8. benmandv thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers to everyone for all the input! Does anyone know of a glossy IPS panel?

9. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech