Screen Failure.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AndrewJM, Jul 16, 2009.

1. AndrewJM macrumors newbie

First off i've been running my MacBook off just the power cord with no battery since i've been in bed for the past 3 weeks after a surgery. I bought this macbook in early 2008 but for the first time my screen will randomly go dark. i found the best way to bring it back is simply to close my macbook and reopen it and it is back. but the computer is still running when it goes black. it doesnt shut down or anything. the problem seems to occur when its running at full power. (game open ichat and itunes up.) though i havent had that problem for the past year and a half. i tried updating all my software and still i have a problem. so i want to know if anyone has had this problem or is it just me.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It's shutting down because the AC adapter isn't providing enough juice for full power operation.

Put the battery back in; the way the computer is supposed to run and your problem should go away.

Sounds like it has nothing to do with the screen failing. Beyond your issue is that you'll only get ~1/2 the performance the computer is capable of when the battery is removed, as the CPU is downclocked to ~1-1.2ghz maximum to prevent just such the issue you may be causing.

3. AndrewJM thread starter macrumors newbie

alright sounds good. but i really just leave it plugged in all the time because im constantly using it but not moving. would it be bad for the battery. and since i put the battery back in its been fine.

i just dont understand why it started having problems now opposed to when i first took it out

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

No idea why it cropped up all of a sudden.

If you're concerned about the battery, just unplug it and use it off battery every now and then. Just keep the MagSafe connector next to you or something so you don't have issues getting to it.

My UMB stays next to the couch 95% of the time, but once a week or so I make sure to run the battery down pretty good, and I calibrate it every month or two just to be safe.

5. AndrewJM thread starter macrumors newbie