Screen finish: matte, glossy, AG coating explained

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacSince1985, Aug 4, 2010.

1. MacSince1985 macrumors regular

I don't want this thread to be another argument of matte vs. glossy. I want it to be about understanding the different finishes and identifying which displays use what.

Many displays (including all Apple) have a glossy finish, which is simply a piece of glass.

Some displays have an AG (anti glare) coating on top of the glass, which diffuses reflections, but also the screen image.

The older LCD (i.e., all white iMac models) are matte but do not feel like they have a glass surface. How are they constructed?

Now that most purchases are done online and there are very few opportunities to view the display in a store before purchase, how can I find out what type of finish a display has? that info is often missing from the spec sheets and reviews.

TIA.

2. savvos macrumors regular

The older LCD models had plastic screens with no glass, much like most LCD TVs you see in an electronics store. Even the old gloss finish models had plastic, it was just glossy plastic.

3. MacSince1985 thread starter macrumors regular

Do they still make monitors with plastic screens? I know I do not want a glossy screen and the more I read, I find complaints about the AG coating.