Screen FIX on the Cheap!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ItHrWRoXaTpPl, Mar 17, 2008.

1. ItHrWRoXaTpPl macrumors newbie

Well this is my iphone when tragedy struck, but luckily i read a forum where some guy fixed his on the cheap with some plexi-glass. So Naturally for me I gave it a shot, Here are my results.

Attached Files:

2. ItHrWRoXaTpPl thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for double posting but necessary for the finish

The last pic is of the finished results, but it looks bad cause i took it from my laptop.

Attached Files:

3. xamkil83 macrumors member

Do you have any pics of your iPhone on after the fix? How does your touch screen work with the plexi?

4. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

I have to commend you on your efforts, this looks "top glass" ( sorry bad play on words?). I would also like to know how well the touch responds now!

Is that a cd case you used to source the plexi?

5. LastZion macrumors 6502a

awesome job mate! I too would be interested in seein pics of the screen on

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I'd like to see some better pics, if you could find a camera to do it with. The closer, the better. Again, if you have the means. Looks great from the pics, though.

7. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

you should sell some of those ...... bet you could sell a few (myself included)

8. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

Looks pretty good-- may I ask how exactly that damage happened to your screen?

9. ItHrWRoXaTpPl thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah sorry i couldn't respond until now but the touch screen responds at 100% its perfect!! and yes i used a cd case, it got kind of scratched so im going to do the project over again in the near future but this time im going to borrow my friends camera for better detailed pics. it got that way because i dropped it on my desk at an angle and it hit were the front button is! :( thats how it cracked that way.

10. oldimac macrumors regular

For $250 a pop at the Apple store to replace the glass, someone will soon come up with a diy solution or start selling the glass themselves.

If Apple has a supplier (duh), then someone else can also get a supplier.

Anyone up for a new business venture. :D

11. filthypanda macrumors newbie

12. pazreal macrumors regular

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Please tell us a little more about removing the old glass.

Looks like you used an x-acto blade or something.

Is it glued to the LCD below? Does it come out easily?

Thanks!

14. ItHrWRoXaTpPl thread starter macrumors newbie

No it does not come of easily and the top glass is glued on to the digitizer which is the touch screen per say. you have to be very careful not to add allot of pressure or else you crack that and then your screwed!! so if you think you have the skill to open it, you should do it that way instead much easier!!

15. AirborneAngel macrumors 6502

Could you post a link of the forum with the original instructions? Thanks.

16. kelvinli macrumors newbie

HI!!!

THANKS ALOT!! i have been finding this thread for so long...anyway..was it really difficult to remove the glass off?

How long did u take? can you guide me through cos i dropped mine onto the road too and cracked...i bought the glass from ebay and i am not sure how to proceed when it arrives to singapore.

What did you use to stick the glass back?

Kelvin..

17. dude500 macrumors newbie

I'd be interested in more details on the scary part of scraping the glass off also. I'm about to try this on mine but I really don't want to break the digitizer because that is a costly fix

18. danos macrumors newbie

Replaced Screen, but now 1 issue..

Hey all,

I replaced the Glass and digitizer on my 3G iPhone, it went fairly smoothly and looks pretty good..

Now i have one issue, that i am trying to decide whether its worth ripping back open the phone to try to fix.

Issue: Some of the sensors that turn the screen off when u are on the phone arent working properly, most of the time when using the phone against my ear the keypad locks - but sometimes i bump the mute/speaker etc.. buttons.

The screen never goes dark when on the phone, so i am pressuming that sensor isnt working at all..

Does anyone know what might be the issue, I have a couple of theories:

1. the sensor/s have been blocked or are dirty from the glue or something.

2. i have not properly connected something.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, as i dont really want to rip it apart again on whim.

Cheers,

Danos;)

19. ItHrWRoXaTpPl thread starter macrumors newbie

just open it back up, I think that you might have not connected them properly. Hope this helps.:cool: