Screen flashes on then dims

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nerissa, Jul 1, 2008.

1. nerissa macrumors newbie

I left my computer on last night and I woke up this morning to a full discharge. So, I plugged it in and waited for it to charge for an hour or so.

I tried to turn it on - grey screen, I could hear the hard drive but no lights on the front. Then it flashed once on my OSX background and startup programs that are normally there and then dimmed very dark (I can still see the outlines of things but just barely - it looks from a distance like the screen is off). I tried to adjust the screen brightness but no luck. I tried resetting PRAM but that also didn''t work. I haven't installed any new hardware and I'm not sure if the computer might have updated last night while I was sleeping.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Can we get a clue as to what computer it is ?

MacBook/iMac - G4/Intel ??

3. nerissa thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Have you tried resetting the systems management unit (SMU)? Turn your MacBook completely off, then remove the battery and power adapter. Then hold down the power button for 5-7 seconds. Then reinstall the battery and power adapter and see if that fixes the problem.

You haven't by accident turned on the negative image of your screen? Holding down control + option + command + the number 8 key will switch the screen mode from normal to negative.

If worse comes to worse take your MacBook into an Apple Store and have them check out the display. Your display may have possibly went out or the display inverter board went out also.

Hopefully some of this info might help you out there! :)