Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Screen flashes with black polygon while watching YouTube

My Dime Is Up

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
For some reason, I'm having a problem where my screen will occasionally while watching YouTube (Not sure if it is other videos or platforms), a black polygon-like shape will flash on the screen really quick and go back to normal. This may happen several times while watching a YouTube video. I recorded a video in slowmotion below. The last part of the video is NOT the laptop stuck with the polygon, just a picture of what it looks like.

I have the 2.3ghz with no dedicated GPU. Wondering what this could be.

Video:

Audit13

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hmm, I watch YouTube videos off my late 2013 13" and haven't experienced any issues. My MBP is completely stock.

I have a MacBook Air 13" early 2015 running an Intel nvme drive and it doesn't have this issue either.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Watch the video while not in full screen mode. Does the glitch happen across your entire display, or just within the YouTube video?

If it happens across your entire display while not in full screen mode, then I’d take it in for service.

My Dime Is Up

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
It happens all across the screen. The only problem is that if I take it in for service, then they might see that I don't have an official apple hard drive installed but rather an adapter and a Samsung.

My Dime Is Up

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
bump. This is actually happening on my 2016 MacBook Pro with Raedon Pro 450 now too. I've been noticing it more lately. Is anyone having this problem on their MacBook? I've disabled automatic graphics switching to see if maybe it was just Mac bugging out when switching the graphics but still flickering.

satcomer

macrumors 604
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
It has to with dust and crap inside your really old Mac affecting the video card! Open it up and get the dust out! Plus with such an old system consider replacing the Processor Thermal paste sense that stuff can dry out after 5-7 years!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.