Screen Flicker at lowest brightness?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Arnold Rimmer, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Arnold Rimmer macrumors member

Hi,

Can anyone confirm if this is a standard design issue or is my device faulty?

I am just about to leave to have it replaced but dont want to exchange it if its gonna be the same on the new one.

Its pretty much perfect in every other way with the exception of this flicker on the lowest brightness setting.

i have tried turning off auto brightness and resetting the device but none of these resolve the issue.

Mainly apparent when on bettery at about 90% charge (ish)

Very apparent when loading a page it safari, its looks quite terrible and shows a lot of flicker during these times...

Any advice before i shoot off?

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

That's how dimmers work on CFL lamps, they just blink less often. I can't see it on idevices but it is there.

3. Arnold Rimmer, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

Arnold Rimmer thread starter macrumors member

Hey,

Cheers for the reply,

iPads are LED lit are they not?

It only seems to flicker when on the lowest light setting, turning it up a notch seems to stop it from flickering? It seems strange to be normal as for 1, its not consistant, and 2, when reading a book you either have a sore head and eyes due to serious flicker, or a sore head and eyes due to bright lights?

im unsure what to do?

Its annoying, but a new one could be worse or have some other issue? ...

Does anyone elses iPad screen flicker when on low brightness? Have you exchanged it? Is it normal?

Update:
    Ill return it and post my findings here... Maybe im the only one with this issue so an exchange seems the best option.

4. Arnold Rimmer thread starter macrumors member

Hey Folks,

If your screen ever does that flickering, get it replaced, its defo not supposed to be like that.

Just got my replacement today and it came with iOS4.2.1, was in a closed, sealed, white standard off the shelf box and is not exhibiting the issues i had with the other ipad.

All resolved and back to being a happy camper :)

5. mrial macrumors regular

I had the same issue but can't replicate. I suspect it is a software issue with auto-brightness. Tune it off and slide the brighness from min to max, then turn auto-brightness back on and slide brighness min to max. May be just circumstantial but worked for me.