Screen flicker/fade during boot with 10.6.8

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mercellios, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Mercellios macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a MacBookPro6,2 (Mid 2010 model) that I recently updated to Mac OS X 10.6.8. After the update, I notice that the boot process isn't as seamless as it used to be, it basically goes like this:

1. Turn computer on, Apple logo and grey screen appears.
    2. Progress indicator spins for about 20 seconds.
    3. Screen turns black.
    4. Screen fades to blue.
    5. Screen fades to desktop.

It used to go like this:

1. Turn computer on, Apple logo and grey screen appears.
    2. Progress indicator spins for about 20 seconds.
    3. Screen turns blue.
    4. Screen fades to desktop.

Is anyone else seeing similar behavior? I'm just curious to know if this is something new for this update or if there's something more going on that the update may have uncovered that I should be concerned about. Just seems a little odd.

Thanks!

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i'm seeing quite similar behavior with my 2010 13'', my boot ups are slower and it takes quite a while to load my desktop, dock and menu bar rather than instantly.

the apple load circle, blue screens and such take more time too.

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i just restarted for giggles and it loaded up like it used to. rather quick boot up and my desktop loaded instantly.

however, i was browsing wallpapers today and when i went to resize one for my resolution, half of the larger image was distorted and with various colors, almost like a gpu related hiccup or failure. i ran techtool (applecare app) and it said that my vram was fine.

is it possible that this was just something wrong with the website itself?

4. Mercellios thread starter macrumors newbie

This is still happening after a PRAM and SMC reset, tried doing a full reload of the OS and its occuring there as well - doesnt happen on 10.6.7 or below. It appears that the backlight for the screen is shutting off for 1-2 seconds and then turning back on when this happens as the Apple logo on the back goes out when this happens.

Any other ideas? I called Apple and they have no clue why its happening

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

do you use software update to update your mac?

mine thankfully stopped being slow. my boot up this morning was routine i am happy to say.

6. Mercellios thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried using Software Update as well as the combo update directly from Apple's website. To clarify, this is on a 15-inch 2010 Pro with a GeForce 330M.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

the best I can say is maybe waiting it out will help it succeed just as mine did. i was getting worse that what you have described but now it is back to normal.

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Same behavior on my brand new 17" i7 2.2 GHz MBP. The OS is Mac OS X 10.6.7 from the grey, machine specific disc, without any updates.

I think Apple included some checks for faulty graphics cards in Mac OS X 10.6.7 or higher, so that they can detect (possibly) faulty graphics cards. I think this test does only work, after the OS loaded the appropriate drivers (kernel extensions).

9. Mercellios thread starter macrumors newbie

Managed to get it on video, once of it not happening and once with it happening. Will upload shortly and link them here so you guys can get a better idea of what im talking about.

10. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all