Screen flicker: new 2010 15" MBP w/anti-glare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by malnosaj, Jun 6, 2010.

1. malnosaj macrumors newbie

Hi there,

This is my first post on Macrumors and unfortunately it is in regards to a problem that I am currently experiencing with my brand new Macbook Pro 15" w/anti-glare upgrade. I purchased the unit on the 28th May and have used it without problems for until yesterday when I noticed some intermittent flickering in the screen ... generally a horizontal banding that happens quite sporadically and also changes in brightness levels etc.

I checked in with an Apple store earlier today and a staff member at the Genius bar couldn't figure it out either. She tried installing new firmware, but the problem remained and told me that she suspects it is an issue related to the firmware as opposed to hardware. The only advice was to wait it out until Apple addresses the issue with a new firmware upgrade?

I can honestly say I'm not very impressed since this MBP was my supposed long-awaited transition from a lifetime user of PCs to the supposedly more stable/reliable Macs! Just my luck I guess. Nonetheless not a great start to my Mac experience ...

Anyways, just wanted to see what is the best way to go about it and whether I have the right to demand for an outright replacement (I will be heading off overseas on the 24th June and will definitely need it while away), which may be an issue in itself as I don't think any retailers (I'm located in Sydney) have the 15" w/anti-glare model on hand/stock - mine took over 2 weeks to arrive via a special order.

Peoples thoughts? Anyone else experiencing similar issues? Only thing that I could find of relevance were the problems experienced earlier this year with the 27" iMacs.

Thanks!

2. Kristine macrumors 6502a

Ring Apple. You are still in the 14 day DOA period. Get them to order a replacement for you and arrange for the current one to be collected by TNT. I just did a test order to check how long the order would take with the hi-res screen - you will receive it before your trip.