Screen Flicker / Safari Issue?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Michael73, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

In the last 5 days I've started noticing a strange flickering with images loading in Safari both static and in-line video e.g. cnn.com. A few days ago at lunch while home I opened both Safari and Firefox, opened cnn.com and then clicked on a video. With both videos playing at the same time it looked fine in Firefox but flickered in Safari. I've noticed the same issue with static image loads too. In FF the image loads no problem, in Safari it flickers. I don't think this is related to the video card (8800GT) but sounds like a software issue to me.

Anyone else having a similar problem? BTW, I'm running 10.5.2 with all the latest updates.

I've subsequently noticed that turning the machine off and on again relieves the problem?!?

2. oliverlubin macrumors regular

same thing here. large blocks of screen flicker, not the whole thing. im on a MPB 10.5.2. i notice it firefox. odd.

3. Martybel macrumors newbie

I have the same problem.. small sections of the screen flicker occassionally. It happens in all applications, firefox, safari, eclipse etc.

Also using 10.5.2 on a MBPro. I think it started after installing the new graphics driver update, but i'm not sure on that, could be that it started after the 10.5.2 update..

FOund any solutions yet?

4. jrk macrumors newbie

Likewise -- I'm seeing flickering graphical elements across many apps (notably WebKit and iChat with Chax) on my Santa Rosa MBP with 10.5.2. I didn't notice exactly when it started, but it was recent and may well have corresponded with the graphics update. At first I thought it was a WebKit nightly issue or a Flash issue (since it seems most pronounced in Flash elements), but it happens similarly across a number of apps. Indeed, scrolling in general seems to have issues redrawing correctly at times.

5. pearle macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem in both FF and Safari. I'm also seeing the same problem in Textmate when I try resizing a text window.

Most perplexing and annoying. I recently had the logic board replaced due to a GPU problem. I also recently installed CS3...don't recall seeing the problem prior to that.

6. Jeff Zanooda macrumors newbie

Same here. Sometimes scrolling with arrow keys is broken as well (image blocks are misplaced). Page up/down seems to work fine.

Interestingly enough, opening up a menu stops the flicker in Flash videos. When the menu is closed, flicker resumes.

Several apps are affected, including Safari and iTunes.

7. MagnumJoe macrumors regular

8. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

I am having the same issue in Safari and FF 3.0 on my iMac 3.06. FF 2.0 is fine :eek: Shall I replace my iMac? It is really strange that I do not see it anywhere else in other applications!

9. chocothebear macrumors newbie

Ive also noticed it if i sometimes go on facebook and even gmail. Sometimes even as i scroll down the page some of the words smudge and then u have to wait a while or just close the page. Went to see a mac genius and he told me that he's never heard of the problem and that i have to switch video cards (new macbook pro) and see if it does the same or just reinstall the operating system. Did all that and from time to time it still does the flickering and smugding. Dont know what to do!!:mad:

10. stew278 macrumors newbie

My 2¢

I've noticed that if my laptop (Macbook Pro / purchased end of '08) is on for any long period of time (ie. for a solid day and put to sleep over night, then back on the next day), or under heavy use (which by that I am guessing/assuming that it's intensive video card use), that this issue pops up. Flickering of video streams (chunks of blackness can be seen), broken web pages when scrolling with the trackpad, etc.

If, however, I turn off the machine and restart, the problem doesn't persist.

It seems to be a temporary solution; I actually went quite a while without the problem after updating last time to 10.5.6, but the problem is coming back more frequently now. I don't believe that this is the "solution" and that Apple is dodging this issue, based on input I've read in other forums and threads. A call this morning into my local Apple store didn't produce any results because the woman I talked to never heard of it and only suggested that I schedule an appointment with a Genius (which I don't have time or luxury of getting rid of my machine for a day right now).

Just wanted to post my 2¢ so far because 1. I've experienced this since the beginning of this year, 2. there still seems to be no solution or recognition on Apple's part regarding this problem, 3. to post a temporary work-around solution that I've found works ... kind of, and 4. to keep this thread open and alive - hopefully more post and keep others informed about anything regarding this annoying/stupid/frustrating issue.

11. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I have EXACTLY the same issue as you. It goes away when I restart it. I wonder if that means its a software issue? Or Hardware. I remember reading all the video card issues before I bought my unibody MBP, but havent noticed anything weird until just in the last few days when i've had the computer since december.

What would be the proper terminology to describe this issue when it misplaces blocks of images and portions of video playback flickers?

Also, I use my MBP with an external monitor 90% of the time during the week and its happening on the external monitor just the same as it does on its own LCD. I hope an update fixes it... I try to keep genius bar visits to a minimum since I really cant go without a computer being that I use it for business.

12. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

A friend had a similar problem with their MacBook (Uni, 2.0GHZ) and it turned out that the Graphics had to be completely replaced!! :O

J

13. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Dang... I hope thats not the case.

Is there some sort of graphics card test I can run?

14. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

If you run iBench and you MPB crashes.. then your in trouble... I would also run Cinebench which would be a much more real test...

J

15. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

What exactly should I compare my results to? I'm downloading both now.

I have a 2.8Ghz unibody w/ 4gb of ram. 15" Macbook Pro.

16. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

If it crashes, you're buggered..

That's what you should compare you're results to...

:eek:

J

17. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Ran iBench with no crash.

System info

Operating system: Mac OS X 10.5.6 (Build 9G55)
    Model: MacBookPro5,1
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9600 @ 2.80GHz
    Frequency: 2.80 GHz
    Total CPU number: 2
    Physical CPU number: 1
    Bus frequency: 1.06 GHz
    Memory size: 4.00 GB
    Memory type: 1067 MHz DDR3
    Compiled with: GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5566)
    Tests results

Composite result: 4.37
    iBench_fp test suite

Householder transformation: 4.45
    Gaussian blur: 4.48
    Mandelbrot set generation: 4.34
    Numerical integration: 4.41
    JPEG compression: 4.38
    LU decomposition: 4.42
    Edge detection: 4.51
    Fast Fourier Transform: 4.28
    Eigenvalue: 4.25
    Partial result: 4.39
    iBench_int test suite

MD5 hashing: 4.75
    Blowfish cypher: 4.68
    Kruskal tree search: 3.97
    Integer factorization: 4.47
    ZIP compression: 5.75
    N Queens problem: 4.62
    Maximum Common Divisor: 3.17
    Quick sorting: 4.27
    Binary searching: 4.24
    Bubble sorting: 4.06
    Prime numbers calculation: 4.33
    Partial result: 4.35

18. radzia2 macrumors newbie

when i did an update to 10.5.7, i started to get the same "flicker"-blocks in "safari". i'was seeing the same flickering while i was scrolling and zooming in "preview" and i see it to in mail.
    i tried uninstalling my safari 4 beta as i thought that whas the origin of the problem, but that did'nt work...
    i used my time machine to set my sytem back to 10.5.6 , that did'nt work either.

i have tried several uninstalls and installs in different order, nothings seems to work for me on a long term.
    i tried the ibench, but my system didn't crash, so it seems my hardware is still fine...

most of the things i tried work on a short term, but after a week or so, problems return. since this morning i have flicker in safari, preview and mail...

when i have some time, i think i reinstal my complete system from scratch...

i'll let you guys know if that helps, i hope it does

radzia2

ps:
    i run mac osx 10.5.6 with safari 3.2.1 and preview 4.1
    i own a 15' mbp 2.4ghz (perryn)

19. stew278 macrumors newbie

Apple extends coverage for MacBook Pro Nvidia repairs

Just saw this yesterday: http://www.macworld.com/article/140892/2009/06/nvidia_warranty.html?lsrc=rss_news

20. radzia2 macrumors newbie

great to know... i'll return it as soon as i go on holliday in a couple of weeks.

really thanks!