Screen flickering and backlight going out

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Splutterbug, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Splutterbug macrumors newbie

Jut today my MBP started flickering and the backlight going out as I move the screen. Six months ago I replaced the hard drive so had to open it all up and I'm wondering if something may have come loose, or does this sound like a more serious problem.

It's a 2007 C2D machine so pretty old, but I was hoping to get enough out of the machine till the next set of updates next year. So two questions really

Anyone have a similar problem and any advice?

If my machine is on it's way out what do I replace it with, the power I have is good enough for what I do so do I really need a new MBP or would one of the lower spec machines already be better than what I have, it would have to be a laptop

Thanks

2. Heavertron macrumors regular

Likely logic board or if you are very lucky, screen cable. You could open it up and clean and re-seat the screen connector cable just to try.

3. Splutterbug thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got an appointment at the Apple store tomorrow I was hoping they could hook it up to an external display to maybe narrow down the problem. Might try opening it up tonight and checking everything is as it should be. Once the screen is in a position that works and I Don't touch it it's fine but as soon as I adjust the screen a bit it goes.

Annoyingly I just paid £100 for a new battery for it which arrived yesterday so I'll be kicking myself if the screen or logic board is going

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Screen flickering.

Is it the backlight going out or the whole image? Look very closely. Can you see everything on a dark screen, or is there truly no image?

5. Splutterbug thread starter macrumors newbie

It's just the backlight, I took it to the Apple store and they confirmed that, you can see the image is there just that the back light is out. I was told they would have to replace the whole panel and would be about £375 and not really worth it. I've also noticed it seems to get a lot worse when I connect and External USB drive (did a time machine back up this morning just in case).

Any advise? I could open it up tonight but would anyone have any links to walkthroughs of what I should be looking for. I'm a bit frightened of making things worse now that it just about works.

Thanks