Screen flickering issue on mbp unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pjkl, Dec 26, 2008.

1. pjkl macrumors newbie

I have a weird screen flickering issue with my new mbp unibody. It happens only when running on battery and is more visible on lower brightness settings.

I am not sure wether this is a common problem and perhaps software related or a hardware defect. If it is a hardware defect I had to return my new mbp which is such a gorgeous machine ...
    Thank you!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes it's already been documented. Please search the forums. Use MRoogle if you must.

3. pjkl thread starter macrumors newbie

I know both threads about this issue. But I can’t come to a conclusion whether this problem is software or hardware related. There is also a thread on the apple discussion board where someone returned his mbp about the same issue. His exchanged mbp obviously had the same flaw. Since I don’t have the flickering issue using the laptop plugged in, it can't be the inverter. So there might be a chance of a software update regarding the power management of these new machines.
    I have posted this particular website because there the flickering is very obvious.

4. jgo78 macrumors 6502

My flicker is low brightness levels like a strobing, really fast flicker. Happens on battery or plugged in.

Don't know what the problem is, hope it's software and not hardware.

5. pjkl thread starter macrumors newbie

I would have linked another website but this is the best example I know of for this issue.
    The funny thing is that my old powerbook shows that website without any flickering.

6. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Neither can Apple.

It's a very widespread issue right now, but it absolutely does not happen on all of them. See below.

I certainly hope so, but I have confirmed first-hand that two identical units can have exactly the same software and firmware while one unit has the flicker issue and the other one does not. In fact, I currently have three unibody Pros (long story how that happened): two 2.4 models and one 2.53 model. One of the 2.4 models (my wife's) has absolutely no flicker under any circumstances whatsoever, while the other 2.4 flickers at low brightness on both GPU configurations---but only when spinning the hard drive. These machines have exactly the same software and firmware. In fact, I can (and have) swapped the hard drives between the two and nothing about their flickering behavior changes. (This wouldn't change the firmware picture, of course.) The 2.53 model flickers much more offensively than the naughty 2.4---but only on the 9400M at low brightness and independently of hard drive load. It also has all the software and firmware up-to-date. Both flickering machines exhibit this behavior independently of power source.

I can also confirm that the 2.53 flickered before any of the recent firmware and software updates Apple released, and that it continues to flicker when installing a clean version of 10.5 all the way back to 10.5.4.

These findings are the result of my testing over the last week or so. They lead me to believe that software probably won't fix the issue. Firmware might, but it would be easier to suspect firmware was to blame if they all did it when running identical firmware versions, and they don't. I think problems with power flow in the logic board are to blame. My 2.53 unit is now waiting for a replacement logic board to arrive, to see if that will fix it. The bad 2.4 is going back today.

7. pjkl thread starter macrumors newbie

8. jgo78 macrumors 6502

please keep us posted.

9. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

No problem. I just wish I had a solution for you (and myself, for that matter).

I will. I'm expecting to pick up the 2.53 on Monday.

10. siraskalot macrumors newbie

hi,

I had this problem a while back.. After messing around, I found that when I had the magsafe plugged in it would flicker at certain low brightness settings. It did this on both GPUs, I took it to the store where I purchased it and the Genius was able to see the flickering.

After about 2 hours of waiting, I had a brand new MBP with data transfered over.

11. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

They always have a reason for perpetuating the same old threads don't they?

12. bigmat1201 macrumors member

Does your new one flicker any? also which MBP do you have 2.4, 2.53, or a BTO 2.8GHz

Thanks

13. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I picked up the 2.53 (new logic board) a few hours ago. So far, I see no flickering under any circumstances. I'll report back if that changes, but it looks like this really is, at least in my case, a hardware issue.

14. jgo78 macrumors 6502

how's it goin now?

15. bigmat1201 macrumors member

I'm having my screen replaced at the moment, hopefully they will get it back to me soon, I really miss it :(

I'm hoping this will fix both the screen flickering and the loose hinge problem.

I'll let yall know what happens when I get it back :)

16. bigmat1201 macrumors member

Well I got my mac back, and as far as I can tell the hinge seems tighter and I haven't had any screen flickering.

BUT they forgot to put my airport card in my new screen, so I have no wireless internet. This really pisses me off, they said that the airport card is held in the screen, and when the tech replaced my old screen, he forgot to take the card out, and a new card didn't come with the new screen, and they didn't have any other airport cards in the shop, and they had already sent off my old screen (with my airport card in it), so they are ordering me a new airport card and its going to take another week to get the part in, this sucks, think god I still have my old MB or I would have probably caused a scene at the apple store. My laptop, like most ppls in this forum, is my life, I can't function without it :mad: