Screen flickering on MBP screens

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Canuckistan, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Canuckistan macrumors member

2. glhughes macrumors regular

I'd say it's widespread. I had 3 early-09 15" uMBPs and returned all three. The first one had a busted LCD backlight (only half of the screen would light up) and the other two both had backlight flickering issues at pretty much anything other than full brightness.

My experience with those last two uMBPs leads me to believe that the flickering is a symptom of a larger issue with the power subsystem of the machine (i.e. a design flaw). I never saw the problem when the machine was plugged into AC power (although I gather that others have) and the issue was exacerbated whenever the machine was drawing more power (e.g. increased CPU use for flash ads in Safari, accessing the HDD when loading an uncached program, etc.). Happened with either of the 9400 and 9600 cards enabled.

I have been waiting for Apple to fix this problem before buying a new MBP. I was saddened to read that the updated MBPs are also exhibiting this behavior. I called AppleCare to report the issue with my second machine and they indicated at that time that the problem was known and that a firmware fix was forthcoming. That was back in ... March. :rolleyes:

<rant>
    Personally, I'd wait until we have confirmation that the issue has been fixed before going near the new MBPs. I'm very disappointed with the quality of the newer Apple notebooks (MBP flickering, MBA lines). It's not like these problems are minor issues like the SATA port running at 1.5 vs. 3.0 Gbit/s; these problems are directly affecting the usability of the machine and are, IMO, completely unacceptable.
    </rant>

3. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Honestly this is why I bought the LOW-end 15" MBP this time around, specifically because it does not have the dual card setup. I gave up on the last generation because all but one of the many machines I bought exhibited this flickering behavior. (The other one had to go back for other issues.) Since the MacBooks (running only the 9400M) didn't seem to widely exhibit this behavior, it seemed likely that the dual card setup was somehow to blame. I'm happy to report that my low-end 15" 6/09 MBP is flicker-free at all brightness settings.