Screen flickering problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by curse354, Sep 16, 2011.

1. curse354 macrumors newbie

Whenever my display goes to sleep and I start it back up again, theres a horizontal black bar that flickers on and off for a few minutes before going away. Any ideas as to why this happens? It only happens when the display goes to sleep and I start it up again.

This problem has only been happening after I did a complete wipe/reset of my mac. Unfortunately I'm not near any apple stores or my original CD's so I cant do it again.

2. session101 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would hope that your converter chip is bad, what model MacBook do you have?

Does it go back to normal on it's own??
    Is your Mac running funny at all?

3. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Lower the screen brightness just a little bit and listen for buzzing. If there's a buzzing or screeching sound, then your inverter is the problem. If not, then you'll need to replace your LCD.

Both replacement can be done without disassembling the base / keyboard part of the computer. Pop off your LCD bezel, unscrew the inverter cover, and replace the inverter (or continue disassembly if you're replacing the LCD).

4. curse354 thread starter macrumors newbie

Theres no buzzing. This only happens when the display goes to sleep, not when the actual computer goes to sleep. I have a macbook pro 13 inch, about 2 years old.

It goes back to normal gradually on its own within about 2 minutes. If the display doesnt go to sleep, then this problem doesnt happen. It only happened after i reset the software on my computer, so idk if the issue is in the hardware.

Nothing else is funny with my mac, except this annoying issue. The flicker only shows up on dark backgrounds, on white its doesnt show up as much.

5. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Whoops! I misread your original post. the flickering line while the backlight is off is a problem with the LCD, not the inverter. Take it to applecare (if you have it) and have them diagnose it. This could either be hardware or software.

Do all of the following things

Reset your SMC: press LEFT SIDE - shift + ctl + option and press power all at the same time

hold Apple + Option + P + R and switch the computer on while thats held down.

Turn the computer off again and hold the power button while off for 30 seconds. You will see the power light blink rapidly

That should resolve the issue.

If not, then boot from the OS X install disk, and see if the issue still happens. If it does, then it's not software, take it to apple