Screen flickering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yixian, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Yixian macrumors 65816

For the last few hours my unibody MacBook Pro has been occasionally flickering - the whole or some of the screen goes black for a split second. It's not happening frequently but it's never happened before, just checking to see if this is a "rush to the Apple Store" type situation?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What MBP do you have (13", 15" or 17") and do you use the 9400M (better battery life) or 9600m GT (higher performance) graphics card?

I had the 15" uMBP, and when I used the 9400M I also had the flicker issue, but the uMBP got stolen before I could check it in with Apple.

3. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

15" and I'm using the 9400M at the moment. The flickering seems to just be occurring in the top 3cm of the screen now, every 5 mins or so.

4. Beaverfish macrumors regular

I have a late 2008 MBP and I also have this issue, but only when using the 9400m. I don't think it happened before I installed snow leopard tho! Looking on the apple support forums, it would appear that it's a graphics hardware thing.

5. Beaverfish macrumors regular

does anyone have an update, im thinking of calling applecare

6. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

Same here

I am having the same problem with mine. I took it in and they told me it was fine. It's getting to where I can't use it for long periods of time because of the stain on my eyes. It's much worse on the lower half brightness settings. I am tired of taking my 4gb ram out and 500gb Scorpio blue every time I take it in. Any ideas anyone?

7. Beaverfish macrumors regular

I think the problem is that apple does't know whats causing it yet. they are just putting off dealing with it, until they know what it is.

8. jpma macrumors 6502

10.6.2 fix my screen flickering
    so far no flicker till now.

currently with 9400gt

9. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I have a new uMBP 15 with 9400 only and while it never goes black (yet) the backlighting does flicker some...like the brightness setting is being reduced or increased for a split second then back to where it was. It is only noticeable on white pages like this...not when watching movies or doing most things.

The updates having changed anything and it happens on mains or battery. I am avoiding taking it to be checked since everything else works so well and I don't want to lose it for weeks and have it come back dinged up with the problem still there (what will likely happen in my experience)

Shame as otherwise I love this beast...

I read a couple people mention this is a normal LED back lighting thing on white pages but I can't believe that is true.

10. Beaverfish macrumors regular

I installed 10.6.2 an the issue is exactly as it was before