Screen flickers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bratboy, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Bratboy macrumors member

Hi All.
    Apologies if this has been posted before, but rather than trawling through the thousands of threads, and before hitting the Genius Bar.... thought I would run this by the experienced MBP owners first.

Got my first MBP (crossed over from PC back in April), and within the last couple of weeks, noticed that the screen is flickering intermittently.

Wondered if it's a glitch stemming from the switch from Graphics card as/when needed, or if it's an indication of something more serious and warrants taking it in to the Genius Bar... (don't want to part with it for days unnecessarily).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

2. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Do you have the new Firmware update?

I don't have your model of MBP, so I don't know about it, but the update might work.

;)

AnonMac

3. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

I feel your pain.

The older of my MBPs that you can see in my sig. had screen issues earlier this year. It would intermittently flicker/turn off without ever touching the screen. The Applecare replaced my screen which fixed the problem. A little while later, it started flickering again but only when I moved the screen in any way. Turns out that when they replaced the screen, a cable got pinched. A few minutes at the genius bar was all it took for them to relieve the pinch and I was on my way home.

My tale describes to sides of the spectrum. First, a bad screen. Second, a crimped cable.

Not sure what your symptoms are but hopefully this helped.

As far as turn around time for the screen replacement, it was only a day or two after they received new screen.

4. Leddy macrumors regular

I have a similar problem to you - 2010 MBP 17" custom order with matte screen, 7200RPM HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M ... I've noticed the screen flickers intermittently ... ie. it will flicker when I'm browsing the web with Safari or if the computer is just sitting there - almost like it goes to black and then back - seems quite random although I can bring it on in Soundtrack Pro when saving Audio files or taxing the graphics card ... I thought it might be related to the graphics switching. Haven't been able to find any other threads on the issue and thought it might just be my unit. Will be taking it in for service under warranty.

Cheers.