Screen flickers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmmm, Jul 6, 2008.

1. jmmm macrumors newbie

When i run my MBP 4,1 om battery and after wake-up after it has gone to sleep, and i start use safari or itunes the screen flickers. it is only when i run on battery not when i am plugged in.

The update 10.5.3 and 10.5.4 didn´t help. I'am confident it is a software issue because when i use my cinema display the problem is still there.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Have you checked your energy saver settings? You may want to check those. Try changing the peformace settings for the processor while on battery to see if that helps. If that doesn't work, you may want to call tech support or take it to an Apple Store.

3. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

It have noticed this also on my 18 month old MBP.... it only started happening since 10.5.3 tho.... or at least it was noticable since then.

It is omething that has been discussed on Apple's support pages but i cannot find any answers to it?

Perhaps a future update will address it!

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I've noticed the occasional screen flicker though it only happens on new finder windows. It's as if the system can't make up it's mind to high-light the active window are not... anyone else know what I'm talking about? Yet the system functions fine! Rather odd, me thinks.

:confused:

5. bayoyong macrumors newbie

Me Too

I have the exact same issue. Flicker when I scroll (mainly in Firefox, iTunes). Only when using battery only. Brought it into the Apple store. They couldn't figure it out. Reinstalled my OS. Everything was fine til I updated to 10.5.4. This is so annoying. Would love to hear an answer for this. Am looking on Apple discussions. Not finding anything.

6. jmmm thread starter macrumors newbie

7. buyusfear macrumors 6502

YES,
    Thank you.
    I'm not alone....

Both the flicker and the lines in safari. what the hell...

I called Applecare and was told to take the battery out, holf the power button down for 5 seconds, then put the battery back in and restart, that this would reset something....

But it still happened once after...

I'm curious to see where this thread goes.

BTW, both times when it happened, after restart, the problem stopped.

8. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Everyone has this. Its part of the lame duck video cards they used. I've had it since I bought it; it usually happens on battery power.

9. bayoyong macrumors newbie

Possible Solution

Thanks everyone for the posts!! I tried what the last user posted. And it seems to be working. Take out our battery while your laptop is still on (I made sure I shut down all my programs), hold down the power button for five seconds, put the battery back in, and hit the power button to restart. Did the trick for me so far! Tested iTunes (was the worst) and Firefox. When I took it to the Apple Store, they did an archive and install. This was much easier. :) I'll let you know if it "sticks". :)

10. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

I have the same issue only if the display is at its brightest, somone told me that theres a damaged connection in the display so... Yea!

11. buyusfear macrumors 6502

Maybe I should have been more specific. by restart, I meant, like start it up again from off......

Turn off MBP

Unplug everything

Take out battery

hold power button for 5 seconds

re-insert battery

turn MBP on

You shouldn't take out the battery while the notebook is still running..