Screen floods with folders :[

Discussion in 'macOS' started by moogle301, Dec 27, 2009.

1. moogle301 macrumors member

moogle301

Hi, think this is right place to post. Recently got a mac. When transferring or sorting through folders I sometimes do this thing which is really annoying. It's accidental. I think it happens when I have selected lots of folders, I mean to tap them or something to move them but instead I accidentally click on one as in open it. ALL of them open!! My screen is flooded with folders! I have to close them one by one, and quit all the apps.
    Similarly sometimes when I open a folder it's not in finder with a back and forward it's just.. a window. Odd. And not useful. This happen to anyone else? Any way to stop it apart from just being super careful all the time.
    Also, really wish mouse was better.. anyhoo

ps. afterthought, any benefits to mail over thunderbird? otherwise might just try and transfer it over if poss.

Oh also, sometimes when I alt tab to an open thing like itunes it won't appear on top. I have to shut all the other windows (or minimise) to find it. Also say I swipe to get to desktop, all is fine, yay. I click on one open thing meaning to bring it and it only up so I can say copy something from it to desktop or something.. everything comes back up. I have to minimise every window to get it alone w. desktop! I don't know why this keeps coming up but I do seem to need this as a feature quite often

Also sad about how I can't delete single stuff from 'trash'.. I'm right in thinking that?

thanks for any helps

2. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

In the Finder, and in many apps, command-option-W will close all windows in one command. Also you can hold down the option key and the File menu will change Close to Close all.

Check your Finder preferences. Under the "General" tab, is "Always open folders in new windows" checked?

If a window has been minimized, command-tab won't bring it to the front even if the app is at the front. However, if it has been hidden, command-tab will bring the window to the front.

With the Finder, you can empty the entire trash or leave it be. You can't delete individual files. Schoolmarms will wag their fingers and tell you not to treat the Trash like a folder to store files.

This AppleScript will give add the ability to delete single files in the trash. If you store it in your "Finder Scripts" folder (/Users/<your user name>/Library/Scripts/Applications/Finder/), it will appear under the AppleScript menu -- assuming you have the AppleScript menu visible.

Code:
    tell application "Finder"
    	get the selection

if the number of items of the result < 1 then
    		display dialog "No file selected. Exiting" buttons {"OK"} default button "OK"
    		exit repeat
    	else
    		repeat with theFile in the result
    			set theVolume to the disk of theFile
    			set itemPath to the quoted form of POSIX path of (theFile as text)
    			set theDisplayedName to the displayed name of theFile
    			if ".Trash" is in itemPath then
    				if button returned of (display dialog "Are you sure you want to delete " & return & theDisplayedName & "?" & return & return & "Volume: " & theVolume buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button "No") is "Yes" then
    					do shell script "rm -r " & itemPath
    				end if
    			else
    				display dialog "This script only deletes files that are in the trash." buttons {"OK"} default button "OK"
    			end if
    		end repeat
    	end if
    end tell

mt

3. jbuk macrumors regular

When you are in that application you want focused, use 'App menu > Hide Others' or Cmd-Opt-H to hide all the other applications you are running. After this, if you click their icon in the dock or Cmd-Tab to them then they will become visible again.