Screen flutter and slowdown

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zamboknee, Feb 12, 2015.

1. zamboknee macrumors regular

Just started having a problem with my display/screen.
    When in Chrome and the App Store the screen (in the app only!) looks like it's scanning or fluttering (don't know what to call it).
    I've taken a video of what it's doing with my iPhone and linked it here so you can see what I'm talking about.
    I tried doing a screen cap video with Quicktime but the problem would disappear when trying to do that.
    The screenshot I have attached here is something I noticed when trying to save the video I've linked above. Notice the gray vertical and horizontal bars.
    Also, I'm seeing a slowdown in things and occasional freezing of the computer where everything just stops like it's frozen in time. Eventually it unfreezes.
    Don't know if they're related.
    Any ideas here would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jahall05 macrumors regular

What model MBP? This is important to know as certain year models with dedicated GPUs are prone to failure. It looks as if yours is exhibiting the same symptoms.

3. zamboknee thread starter macrumors regular

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Could well be the graphics card

Unfortunately that one has 2 graphics cards one inbuilt 9400M and one Geforce 9600M GT.

Try using Graphicscardsstatus app to turn off the 9600GT and see if that sorts it out if it does then it will probably completely fail when that part finally dies.

If not then force it to use the 9600GT and see if that works may last some while like that.

5. zamboknee thread starter macrumors regular

Would a graphics card issue cause the slowdown and freezes?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

It can, yes.

7. zamboknee thread starter macrumors regular

I downloaded gfxcardstatus and tried switching GPU but it would not switch to the 9600 GT card.
    I went into System Preferences and under 'Energy Saver' checked the radio button next to 'Higher Performance' when in 'Power Adapter' mode. After logging out and then back in it appears that the change did NOT take affect (still using 9400 card).
    Is the 9600 card toast?

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep looks like it

That would seem to be the case. You can get it replaced or reballed or reflowed I believe, but that mac is old to be spending any money on when the money could go towards a new computer.