Screen for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Washac, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

Looks like I will be getting myself a nice new mac pro and was wondering just one question.

Should I pay out for an Apple LED display or buy another make ?

If another make model, which would be the one to buy.

You decide :)

2. seadragon macrumors 6502a

Well, I just picked up the HP LP2475W 24 inch monitor.

I like the Apple LED, but it's clearly designed and targeted to laptop users with a ridiculously short cord which is hardwired into the back of the monitor. No thanks.

Very pleased with the HP. It uses a quality H-IPS panel and produces a very crisp image. It was also a lot less $ than the Apple monitor.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...ACD's are really nice, but not worth the price IMHOP.

4. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Go for the largest Dell in your budget. I got a 27" and haven't looked back.

5. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Dell 30" $1,050
    ACD 30" $1,800

6. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

7. barnetda macrumors regular

The 27 inch Dell looks really nice. Really good value.

I am about to get a mac pro. Can i ask what graphic card set up i would need to drive 2 27 inch Dell monitors .

8. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Depends on what apps you'll be running...

9. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I just got an HP LP2475w last Thursday from Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/LP2475W-24in-LCD-Monitor-1920X1200/dp/B001FS1LLI

Unfortunately it has a small cluster of dead pixels right in the middle and is suffering from the tint problem (green on left, red on right) reported in other places.
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1326971

Other than that is is a sweet monitor. I'm gonna be swapping it for another due to the pixel issue and will hopefully get a newer revision without the tint problem at the same time.

10. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Anything NEC will generally work (minus one run of monitors that didn't work with Macs well, but NEC did make an offer to change firmware as far as I know).

DS-263N is what I use. Awesome 25.5" Doublesight has a 27" as well which is *VA, but I have yet to see a review of it. The Planar PX2611 is also a good monitor...

If you're in Europe, Hazro also makes some good monitors.

The LP2475W is probably the best budget monitor for the money IMO that is still produced, which can be had for ~530 w/ shipping from Provantage. Otherwise, for a full colour gamut on-the-cheap, there is the Dell 2209WA.

Still, what it boils down to is what apps you will be using most often.

EDIT; Some guys over at [H]ard recommend the Auto-detect function on the monitor be disabled; there's a slightly greater chance of the monitor bricking with it on then off. I personally don't think its significant, but just putting it out there.

11. barnetda macrumors regular

I am an equity trader so tend to have 2 trading software packages open at the same time normally on my PC side of my mac. ( i also use a pc at times in a seperate screen which i would like to make redundant).

In addition 2 browsers, normal communication stuff, a non demanding excell sheet .

12. msmth928 macrumors regular