Screen freezes often

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Politis, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Politis macrumors regular

3 or 4 times a week my MacBook laptop freezes. When this happens, I can move the cursor around the screen but I cannot click on anything, or change anything on the screen. So I have to force quit by keeping the power button pressed down and then start up again.
    The screen freezes when I am on the internet and clicking on something - like making the screen larger, or opening a site within a highly trusted site, or something else.
    I called my internet service provider and there is nothing wrong with my line. Any ideas?

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

3. Politis, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

Politis thread starter macrumors regular

MBP OSX 10.6.8, 15 inch, from 2010
    No new applications added, kept up with updates.

4. vmachiel macrumors 68000

That's what I thought, i have the exact same thing and believe it or not i'm going to the apple store this saturday to have them take a look at it.

What I found it is, is that this happens because of the switching between the two graphics cards. After such a crash, the same console message always appears talking about Nvid (Nvidia) and Open GL. Since I turned switching off and thus always use the discrete graphics, i haven't had a single crash.

This is of course not a solution since this drains battery life when i'm not plugged in and it's supposed to work with switching. I hope Apple can replace the motherboard or something; that's where the hardware fault is according to other people who've had this problem.