Screen Freezing and Static lines

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pogokshrpenguin, Dec 17, 2010.

1. pogokshrpenguin macrumors newbie

I have a 15" Macbook Pro that I purchased 5 years ago. It is getting old, but I replaced both the ram and the harddrive about half a year ago. I have been having problems with the screen freezing for a while now. At first someone told me that my harddrive was probably causing the issue because it had been corrupted. I replaced it. The problem did not go away. Then I was told the problems I was having is software corruption, so I wiped the harddrive and reinstalled snow leopard OS. This did help for a while, but recently the problem has returned. My computer screen froze 3 times in an hour and I have static lines running horizontally across my screen. I have a screenshot example.

Can you help me figure out what the problem is?

Attached Files:

2. teksurv macrumors regular

First, plug in an external display and see if these lines show on that. If so, and likely since you are experiencing freezing issues, it's possible that your video card/logic board is failing. Possibly overheating, back up your data and consider opening the machine up and cleaning the fans and heat sink. iFixit.com has tutorials on how to open the machine for reference.