Screen Glitching in 2015 MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by aisajib, Jul 30, 2015.

1. aisajib macrumors newbie

aisajib

Hi all, I have a weird issue with a brand new 11-inch 2015 MacBook Air. Since the installation and all throughout the upgrade to the latest version of Yosemite, I'm seeing weird glitches all throughout the screen. First I thought it was a hardware problem with the display, but later noticed that the screenshots are able to capture what I'm seeing. So I'm assuming it's in the rendering (software glitch)?

I hate having to go back to the seller with product issues (and I should tell you I don't have any Apple stores here, so it's via a reseller). I was wondering if it's a known software glitch and if something can be done to fix this (as it may not be hardware issue?).

Here are the screenshots that I was able to capture. The problem is, these glitches do not appear all the time. That's another annoying thing as you never know if the problem will show itself when it's being demonstrated to the seller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for any help you can offer me.

2. MacBoook160 macrumors 6502

Two comments: I have a 2015 11'', too, and though it has its own issues, this hasn't been one of them. Since you're under warranty, can you speak to an Apple representative first and forward them these screen shots? Is that a possibility where you are?

3. aisajib thread starter macrumors newbie

aisajib

Unfortunately, no. I'll have to take this to the reseller, and I'm fairly certain that'll mean they'll send this to Apple for warranty, leaving me hanging for months. (Since it's not directly from Apple, I'm not positive they'll give a replacement.) :(

4. MacBoook160 macrumors 6502

If it's an authorized Apple reseller you're dealing with, and under warranty, I don't see how they COULDN'T give you a replacement if they can't fix it. Make sure you keep records of all of your conversations, etc. Regardless of whom you purchase from, if it's authorized by Apple, then I assume you have the same rights as anyone else who has purchased an Apple product.

Possible having to send it away is certainly a pain, given the backing up you'll have to do. Fingers crossed.

5. zaquinho17 macrumors regular

zaquinho17

do you have a lot of documents etc? would you consider deleting your disks and starting again?

6. aisajib thread starter macrumors newbie

aisajib

You know, it's third world country, and customer service isn't something they're very good at. My assumption is that they'll say they're sending this to Apple for warranty, Apple will replace/fix it and send it back. Minimum 2/3 months of waiting for me. :(

It's brand new. I don't have anything on the computer. But I'm guessing deleting everything won't bear any results. I noticed the glitches, albeit not much noticeable, when I was entering WiFi information when setting up the Mac. It was on 10.10.2, and I've updated to the latest version with high hopes that it'll have been fixed. It hasn't.

If I were to try what you're suggesting, how would I go about doing that?

7. motrek macrumors 68020

I think the problem is likely with software for the reason you said, i.e., that you can take screen shots of the artifacts.

(Although there could still be a problem with the hardware that's earlier in the graphics pipeline, but I've never heard of such a defect in an Intel chip.)

So reinstalling all your software seems like it has good chances of sorting out the problem.

To reinstall, reboot and immediately hold down command+option+R to get into the internet recovery interface. From there you can use Disk Utility to reformat your drive and then reinstall Yosemite. It will unfortunately take a couple hours depending on your internet connection speed but it will hopefully sort out the problem.

8. aisajib thread starter macrumors newbie

aisajib

I've just did a full wipe of the disk and restored from a previous time machine backup (taken earlier from a rMBP). I still have the same problem. I would like to do a clean install of Yosemite, but it attempts to download the 5+ GB file taking longer than 18 hours. If it has to be taken back, I'd do it sooner than later. I guess I'm just unlucky.

Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 1.04.17 AM.png

9. motrek macrumors 68020

There might be something in the rMBP files that you're restoring from that doesn't agree with the MBA. They are different models of computer.

I'd take it to a Mac/Apple computer shop where they presumably have a better way of installing Yosemite than waiting 18 hours.

10. zaquinho17 macrumors regular

zaquinho17

The full restore is what i was talk gin about, but don't use a back up, start fresh

11. aisajib thread starter macrumors newbie

aisajib

I assume that'd be the case if the OS it shipped with didn't have the same glitch. But I agree that a clean install would be a better way to check. I'll take it to the shop tomorrow to see what can be done about it. I guess that's not something I could fix.