Screen goes black, CPU temp high, charger dies

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beedoola, Dec 23, 2014.

1. beedoola macrumors member

I was on my 2011 MBP when the screen when blank. The charger light on my magsafe also went out. I pushed the power button and when the computer came back on the fan was on high and I go a message from SMC Fan Control saying I should consider donating for the program.

Anyways, so I restart the computer and the fan is still going crazy. I shut down the computer, disconnect the battery and then plug it back in. Boot the computer and the temperature still seems high. After installing and the removing, and then reinstalling SMC fan control, the settings are back to normal with the app - I installed it and the temp range in SMC preferences only when down to 5040rpm, which is odd, instead of 2000.

After some removal and reinstall, the range is normal.

But the CPU temp still seems to be high and I don't know why, it won't settle down. It goes up to the 86C, cools down after I have SMC on the high setting, comes down to maybe 75 then shoots up to 82.

Currently at 6196rpm and 81C. Drops to 75C and then back up.

My charger also seems to have died. I measured it with my Digital Multi Meter and I'm not getting 15V or whatever its supposed to be. The AC cord going into the PSupply is fine, I get the line voltage reading from the wall outlet.

Could the PS have caused any damage to my computer? My charger was an OEM Apple Charger - 60W.

Also, might my fan or something else be dirty and causing the high temperature?

2. beedoola thread starter macrumors member

3. hermagerd macrumors newbie

I would try to reinstall the operative system, it sounds to me like it could be a software problem. Also its a pretty easy and safe thing to do. It worked for my MacBook Air 2012, it was really warm but went from around 90C to 50-60C after i reinstalled it.

I find it hard to believe the fan could become dirty enough to cause a problem, but if it continues to be warm after you reinstall it you could open it and just check. When i opened my MacBook Pro 2012 i also reapplied the cooling paste. It looked like a child had been playing with mud on the CPU, but after i changed it the temp went down to 35C and now it stays around there.

Only other thing I could think of is a lightning striking the building and blowing though the power supply, melting something in your adapter.. But then only the adapter should break and not the computer, am I right?

4. stynger007 macrumors newbie

stynger007

Clean out your fan exhaust and put new thermal paste on. Just did this to a 13" 2011 macbook pro the paste was hard and crusty..