Screen Goes Black

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by katelynsmith, Sep 25, 2011.

1. katelynsmith macrumors newbie

On the 24th of this month, I got the Thunderbolt Software Update (version 1.0), the Security Update 2011-05 (version 1.0), and the MacBook Pro EFI Software Update (version 2.8). Ever since I got these update, my screen has been going black about every 10 minutes even when I'm using it. The only way to fix it is to turn it off manually by holding down the power button. Now it has started happening right after the apple screen goes away when I turn the laptop on.

Is the screen going black because of these updates or is it something else?

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

I would try finding the previous firmware you were using and manually install it. If it fixes the issue, you know it lies in the update. Otherwise, post back and I'll try to help you out further.

3. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Take it to the Apple Store. Sorry to hear about that.

4. katelynsmith thread starter macrumors newbie

Last night I tried going back to the old firmware. I couldn't because of the new Snow Leopard updates. I then tried to go back to the older version of Snow Leopard I had before so I could download the older firmware. It wouldn't let me install the older version of Snow Leopard.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

try the app caffeine it keeps your screen on untill you turn caffeine off

6. katelynsmith thread starter macrumors newbie

Downloaded it about 30 minutes ago. Screen just went black again.

7. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Mine began to do the exact same thing a day or two before I downloaded OS X Lion. Once I installed Lion, the problem went away.

8. katelynsmith thread starter macrumors newbie

I would totally love to get Lion. But I've been told that my GarageBand Jam Packs and dJay software won't work which means I'd have to buy them again.