screen goes black?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mdwsta4, Nov 12, 2007.

1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i installed leopard last week and have noticed an annoying problem since. previously if my mbp was left untouched for a few minutes the keyboard lights would go off and the screen would dim a bit. touching any key or the trackpad would bring it to full brightness. with leopard the screen just goes black as if it's going to sleep. no dimming and i don't even see a screensaver.
    not sure why it's doing this as i have my settings for the display to go to sleep after 30 minutes, not 2 minutes. i installed leopard using an archive and install so all my other settings are exactly the same. why would this be any different?

any idea what's going on?

thanks!

2. bimmerchop macrumors regular

bump, I'm having the same issue

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think it could be a problem with the video card drivers and Leopard. but whatever it is it is most likely something that will have to wait for another update to fix it.

4. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

odd that only two of us seem to be having the problem though?

5. bimmerchop macrumors regular

Freaking leopard, all it's done is given me headaches. I think I'm gonna go back to tiger this weekend

6. shadowriser77 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with my computer, and my brother does too...both just got leopard in the last few weeks.

7. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

so more and more people are having the problem?
    i installed the latest update hoping that would help and nada.

8. bimmerchop macrumors regular

bump...

still trying to figure out a fix for this. It's an annoying problem. The screen brightness just goes completely dim. The best way to describe it is if you bring down the brightness of the screen all the way till it turns off. You can still sort of see the screen if you look hard enough. Also, if I'm running off of battery power, I noticed that this happens the moment right before my screensaver comes on. It doesn't matter if I have it set to come in in 3 minutes, or 30. That instant the screensaver is suppose to come on, the screen does black

9. bimmerchop macrumors regular

Last night I did a fresh install of tiger, and right after did a fresh install of leopard in hopes that it might fix this issue... still nothing

10. marsman2015 macrumors newbie

I think I may have fixed this problem..
    While searching google I found a thread on the apple forums about another leopard monitor problem (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1204598)
    And since I've tried just about everything else decided to give this a try.. Since I've done it, the monitor hasn't gone black like it used to.. Anyways here is what I did.

Restart your computer
    Right as it starts press and hold command + option + p + r (This resets the PRAM - no I don't know what that means)
    This will cause your computer to restart again, you can let go of the keys at this point.
    Your computer will start and the problem will be fixed... hopefully..

I hope it works for everyone else as well

11. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

tried it... didn't work for me. if anything, it does it even faster! if i don't touch anything for 2 minutes (yes i timed it) the screen goes black.

12. rhyndu macrumors regular

I think that this is just a "feature" of leopard.

About the screensaver, you can set that in sys prefs!

13. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

FYI- i upgraded to the latest 10.5.2 version of leopard and my screen no longer goes black.

14. bimmerchop macrumors regular

Yup, me too. The latest update seems to have gotten rid of this issue for me. I only upgraded a couple days ago though, so I'm giving it a few more days to see if it actually did get rid of the black screen issue