Screen goes black

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gkallivrousis, Jan 12, 2010.

1. gkallivrousis macrumors newbie

Alright so im having a problem with my macbook pro 15 inch. When i leave my computer with the lid open for about 30 mins or more the computer screen goes black and doesnt come back no matter if i hit keyboard of mouse pad. nothing happens. Also if i close lid then open lid still nothing happens. I wish this one just stop.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's not right and sounds like as the machine heats up a component is failing. I'd call apple and schedule a genius to look/repair/replace the unit.

3. tomjleeds macrumors 6502

Does it only happen if you leave it alone, or while you're using it?

4. gkallivrousis thread starter macrumors newbie

only when i leave the computer alone. the only thing is i dont want to leave with apple because im in school now and i need my computer.

5. tomjleeds macrumors 6502

Have you tried the power button? Perhaps it's sleeping but not recognising the lid reopening if it was open when it went to sleep.

6. gkallivrousis thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i have hit the power button. in order to do anything i have to hold the power button and manually turn it off.

7. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Genius time, my friend. Sounds like a serious problem.

Good luck,

Habitus :apple:

8. q dude macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. It only occurs when I am running off the battery. Let me know if you find a solution to this. It is annoying to say the least.

9. LastZion macrumors 6502a

i've had it happen about 5 times, I just move the mouse and leave it for 2-5 mins and it always come back...

10. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Just out of interest is your mac going to sleep during that 30 minute window? And secondly, are we talking about a unibody MBP here?

I only ask because I had a problem with my unibody MBP whereby I would put it to sleep, then try and wake it up later only to be met with a black screen as your describing. At this black screen it was entirely nonfunctional. To get my MBP back I had to hold the power button and it would restart twice. First it would run until a grey screen then reboot, then start up again just fine.

Ultimately I took it into Apple and after much fuss they replaced the logic board.

11. gkallivrousis thread starter macrumors newbie

YEa actually thats exactly what happens and yea i have the unibody MBP

12. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem occur today for the first time but it occured while I was using it. I was filling out something online and all of a sudden the screen went black but it was still lit up (I could see the light around the edges as well as the mouse pointer being still visible), I was listening to music and it kept on playing despite the screen going black.

After 10-15 seconds my login window popped up and I logged back in. I restarted it and it hasn't happened since, but I hope I dont have to send it for repairs

13. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Well for a quick fix you could go into system prefs and disable automatic sleep mode. If its not going to sleep it cant not wake up. Now, if you close it and it goes to sleep, does it wake up from that ok? Get it to apple ASAP make sure its before your warranty ends.