Screen goes blank on 24 LED when I close the Lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Greenhoe, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Greenhoe macrumors regular

Hi,
    I just purchased the Apple LED Cinema Display and I have it hooked up to my new MBP but when I close my MBP lid my 24 LED screen now also goes blank as I have the 24in Screen set as my main monitor.

Do I have to change something in the settings or how can I fix this. Thanks

UPDATE

i have it working now in clamshell mode, but now if I've been using my 24 ACD for a while then open my MBP out of clamshell mode, the laptop screen does not come back on and I have to restart my MBP to get it working.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Uh... yeah. You hook up your keyboard and mouse, close the computer, and then wake it up while it is closed to keep using the display.

3. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

He has a point, though. If I had that setup, I'd rather keep my MBP "closed and put away" and still use the ACD as if it were an iMac. I wouldn't have any reason to keep the MBP open if I had a separate keyboard and mouse hooked up to the ACD! I messed around with this in the Apple store and never could figure out how to get the damn thing to quit sleeping the display every time I closed the MBP's lid. Tweaked setting after setting...nothing. WTF. :eek:

4. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

To use clamshell mode, you have to have monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power connected. With all these connected and the lid closed, push a button on the keyboard to wake the machine. That's how it's worked forever.

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Does InsomniaX work with Leopard? I know it did with Leopard since I had it on my wife's MacBook, but I haven't tried with Leopard.

6. brentsg macrumors 68040

You guys are working at this too hard. Once you close the lid once, then re-awaken the system... you are done.

I probably don't take mine out of clamshell mode once a month.

7. Greenhoe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but now when I open Lid laptop screen doesn't come on

Thanks,
    i have it working now in clamshell mode, but now if I've been using my 24 ACD for a while then open my MBP out of clamshell mode, the laptop screen does not come back on and I have to restart my MBP to get it working.

8. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Y not just have a desktop then?

9. brentsg macrumors 68040

Because when I'm called on to travel I need my computer... software and files intact.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Unplug external display to turn on internal display. No need to restart.

Since you hard restarted, I would repair permissions, and verify disk

11. Hydroxs macrumors regular

Open your mbp and go to system pref. and click on display then detect display.

12. Greenhoe thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! That works great!

13. PAHammond macrumors newbie

Anybody got any other ideas on the same topic?

My issue is that when I close the lid and activate clamshell mode my TV screen changes output mode and just displays a blank screen. I'm guessing for some reason once in clamshell mode the resolution has been changed?

In addition, when I re-open the macbook the macbook screen remains blank.

With no screen I am not able to do detect windows or change any settings so I'm left with having to reboot.

Any ideas?
    BTW. All works fine if I leave the Macbook open!

14. allegrocm macrumors member

Once in a while, when my MBP is hooked up to my HDTV, I'll stupidly change the monitor resolution. That failsafe dialog that's supposed to come allowing you to change back doesn't always work, and my MBP will be outputting to my TV in a resolution the TV can't use. So basically, I'll be blind. HOWEVER, when I open my MBP, my internal screen comes back on. So I enable voiceover, make sure the monitors menu widget is up in the menubar, and listen my way back to the proper resolution after closing my MBP again.