Screen goes out of control randomly ? (iPhone 6+)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kalebnate, Nov 4, 2014.

1. kalebnate, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

kalebnate macrumors 6502

It happens occasionally and I cannot reproduce it manually. The top left (portrait) or bottom left (landscape) part of the screen taps itself sometimes for some unknown reason.

I recognize this problem from my older iPhone but that was due to hardware damage and jailbreaks, not sure if restoring my i6+ from the i5 can carry this problem along ? I had the phone for 3 weeks and I realized this a few days ago ... I would have realized it since I got it if the problem existed back then !

Also, the screen sometimes just hangs and stops responding to touch for a few seconds (I usually just lock then unlock the phone) , I noticed this after 8.1.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

What do you mean "taps itself?" What, exactly, happens?

3. kalebnate, Nov 4, 2014

kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

It's responding to a tap that I'm not making, as if I'm tapping that point.

4. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, the screen sometimes just hangs and stops responding to touch for a few seconds (I usually just lock then unlock the phone) , I noticed this after 8.1.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

When you say it's "responding," what is it doing?

6. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure if you're trolling or not ...

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I'm not..I'm asking how it's responding. Is it going back a page? Is it scrolling to the top of the page? Opening a link that's located at that part of the page?

8. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

It's responding as a tap, so whatever is there it just taps it. If it's a button then it taps a button, if it's a "go back" button it goes back, if it's an "edit" button it initiates editing the list I'm on.

9. HobeSoundDarryl, Nov 4, 2014

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I'm having similar experiences. It seems isolated the upper left of my iPad Mini screen. There are times when clicking anything in that area doesn't work and other times when the Mini seems possessed. I've reinstalled iOS 8 multiple times, even did the factory reset and reinstall of iOS 8 but I suspect there is something buggy along these lines.

It is not consistent- I can't make it malfunction on demand. It just pops up in various apps seemingly randomly (including Apple apps)... only in the upper left of the screen... either unintended UI interface clicks in that zone or becoming irresponsive to my intended clicks in that zone.

If you do a search for iPad Possessed or iPhone Possessed, there are many similar references that pop up, especially back in 2010 and then 2012. There's also a number of videos that shows what "possessed" can look like. This guy's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfR5ys7JUnw is pretty representative of what my definition of the word would be (as if someone else is taking over the machine and rapidly interacting with the UI). What that video doesn't show is the unresponsive problem (for me)- when clicking anything in the upper left area of the screen does nothing.

10. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that's hectic ... Since I can't produce it on demand as you mentioned, I can't show this at the Genius bar otherwise I'd be waiting for it to happen (if it does) and he will take me for an idiot.

11. kalebnate thread starter macrumors 6502

I was on the GMAIL app right now and it's not only the top left screen, it tried scrolling downwards, selecting random messages, scrolling again, then the phone just hung. I had to lock then unlock to resume it's functionality.

WTF ?