Screen going black...anyone experience?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Saberon2014, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Saberon2014, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015

Saberon2014 macrumors member

Been looking at picking up a Mac Mini but have read some reports of screens going black for a few seconds before returning to normal. Now I know that people with problems are much more likely to complain than happy users reporting they have no problems...but I just want to ask before I drop a good chunk of $ on it.

This is specifically for 2014 Mac Mini's.

Has the screen ever gone blank/black for a few seconds and then returned?

If so, how often?
    What monitor?
    What type of cable is being used? (DP, HDMI-DVI etc)

Thanks everyone, I sincerely appreciate your time.

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I have a 2014 Mac mini since March 2015. It is on every day for 12+ hours. I have never experienced momentary black screen. I have a ViewSonic VA2465Smh 24" HDMI Monitor connected via a HDMI to HDMI cable.

3. swift_bk macrumors newbie

I have a 2014 mini 2.6Ghz, 1TB fusion and 16GB, since Feb 2015. Its always on 24/7, with once a week/10days shutdown.

I run OS X server, and it has occur 2-3 times a couple of months ago now, when logging off one user the screen goes blank, and nothing happens. Requiring me to restart the mini. Hasn't happen recently. Myself and my wife use daily for numerous task.

We use a SAMSUNG LS24D590 Full HD 23.6" LED Monitor connected via HDMI.

4. Saberon2014 thread starter macrumors member

Swift, does that ONLY occur when logging off? If so, that's good news as it sounds like a different issue :)

5. swift_bk macrumors newbie

Yes it only when logging off. It occurred a month or so ago and only 2-3 times. Multiple users were logged in, and one user logged off and the screen just went blank. Had to restart to get back up. Hasn't happen recently or at any other time.