Screen Going Black - Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jabberwocky246, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Jabberwocky246 macrumors member

Three times in the past two weeks my screen has suddenly turned black on my MBP and I have had to pull the battery and do a reset to get it to work again, sometimes a couple of times. When it initially goes black I can still see the screen (no backlight) and get it shut down, but multiple reboots do nothing to help. Additionally, the computer doesn't seem to be starting up properly until the screen finally comes back.

The computer is no longer under warranty, so I would prefer to try fixing this myself.

Any suggestions?

2. agore macrumors member

Does this by any chance happen when you send the cursor of screen at a particular edge? If so, you may have the Hot Corner actions set (System Preferences, Screensaver applet).

3. Jabberwocky246 thread starter macrumors member

I turned off hot corners as soon as I got the machine. Additionally, the screen stays black on cold starts and it is now taking several starts to get it to light up.

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

so there is an image but the backlight doesnt work?

5. Jabberwocky246 thread starter macrumors member

Correct, I could see the image at the right angle.

Update - I borrowed another Macbook Pro and was able to swap out the screen and the inverter. The problem is still there.

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

left i/o board and/or i/o flex cable would be next on the list. That power's the inverter board.

7. Jabberwocky246 thread starter macrumors member

Sounds like I have some ordering to do. I'll update as soon as the parts come in.

Thanks for your help.