Screen going black

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Victoriah23, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Victoriah23 macrumors newbie

It's been happening more recently but ever since receiving my Mac the screen will go black but the keyboard will still be lit and the sound will still work. The only way I can get it to stop is by restarting the computer, I'm not very tech savvy so I have no idea what's happening.

2. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Is this a 2013 Air? Lots of people are having this problem. Call Apple, but it is unlikely they can help you. Despite what anybody says about pram or smc resets there is nothing you can do to solve this issue.

3. PrincessV macrumors newbie

This has happened twice. The 2nd time today. I've had my 2013 Macbook Air (11") since about July 2013.

4. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Open spotlight (click on looking glass at upper-right) and search for "Console". Start this app.

It will show all log files of the notebook, divided in categories (on the left). Choose the category "System Diagnostic Reports". Is there something there?

5. PrincessV macrumors newbie

Yes, there is a "report" for yesterday, but the time doesn't seem right. However it is the only entry for 12/25/2013.

Here it is (at least the top part, it's pretty long). (Please keep in mind that I am fairly new to the Apple environment & have no idea what any of this means! :confused:

Date/Time: 2013-12-25 06:22:08 -0500
    OS Version: 10.9.1 (Build 13B42)
    Architecture: x86_64
    Report Version: 18

Command: No Target
    Path: No Target
    Version: ??? (???)
    Parent: UNKNOWN PROCESS [0]

PID: 0
    Event: shutdown stall
    Duration: 12.01s (sampling started after 2 seconds)
    Steps: 101 (100ms sampling interval)

Hardware model: MacBookAir6,1
    Active cpus: 4
    Fan speed: 1266 rpm

Free pages: 820499 pages (-66)
    Pageins: 41 pages
    Pageouts: 0 pages
    Swapins: 0 pages
    Swapouts: 0 pages

Process: gamed [289]
    Path: /System/Library/Frameworks/GameKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/gamed
    Architecture: x86_64
    Parent: launchd [135]
    UID: 501
    Sudden Term: Dirty (allows idle exit)
    Task size: 7641 pages (+46)
    Pageins: 1 pages
    CPU Time: 0.013s
    Importance: Adaptive, Boosted

6. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

It doesn't look related. What you could do, is wait until the problem occurs again, then copy and paste the contents of the system.log file.

7. lina231 macrumors regular

I had the same exact problem too. I have the 2013 MBA 13 inch. After the screen going black twice I called Apple. After endless amounts of trouble shooting they advised me that I should make an appointment at teh Genius Bar.

Took it to get it looked at, they said that they had to send it out. After like 3 days i got it back.

Logic board, trackpad, and cables were replaced in my mac. Which leads me to believe that you may have the same issue.

Moral of the story, when in doubt take it to Apple.