Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hitman0304

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Just got a brand new 15" Macbook Pro for Christmas this year. Recently in the past few days I've been running into this problem. I close the computer, putting it to sleep. When I go to open it back up and use it again, the screen comes on for about a second where I need to enter my password. After about a second the screen then goes black. There is no way to get the screen back on unless I unplug the computer and plug it back in.

I've noticed that it has something to do with internet sharing. I use it to send a wifi signal out for my other devices and what not. When it is sharing that wifi is when this problem occurs. It seems when I turn it off internet sharing the problem doesn't occur. Would sharing the connection not allow the computer to correctly sleep or something while closed?

It's getting very annoying and I'm wondering if anyone else has had an issue like this. I also tried doing software updates yesterday and the mac got stuck during the update. I had to hard reboot it to start using it again. I'm feeling like this mac may be having some problems. Any advice?

steve907

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
I have this problem also. Sometimes it works to log off before closing the lid, sometimes not. The only sure way is to shut the machine down before closing.

Clean-up apps, resetting the PRAM did not work.

Very annoying.

medi.freak

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
I am experiencing the same problem! I noticed, that it lightens when you press F1 or F2 (the light-darker buttons), ANother thing that is bothering me lately, is, that my MBP doesn't go in sleeping mode lately. Meaning, it does not do the pulsing light thing, but the light is constantly on. Do you know what I can try to fix that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.