Screen Hinge/Bezel broken on screen -- need advice...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sethmckinney, Apr 8, 2010.

1. sethmckinney macrumors newbie

Hello -- I have a macbook pro, and the screen/bezel is broken. Every time I open and close it I have to hold it etc... I am the only one who can use it with out making it completely horrible.

See pictures...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does anyone have any advice? Maybe drilling in some kind of brace or something. This stinks and stupid Apple is saying it's my fault (under warranty), and this just came about over time.

Thanks.

2. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

first, try a different apple store and explain that there is no way it can be your fault.

3. sethmckinney thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

This is unfortunate. Next time you go into the apple store, ask to speak to a manager. They'll generally be less likely to blame the customer for problems.

5. sethmckinney thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anyone seen this before, or does anyone have any advice on bracing? If not I just have to keep it this way. They told me a replacement was $850 or so... Not happening.

6. sethmckinney thread starter macrumors newbie

7. AoxomoxoA macrumors member

I had the bezel crack and my screen go whack on a MBP 2.16 version. The source was the screws backing themselves out of the left hinge where they connect to the body section. The bezel torqued and cracked.

It was still under the Applecare I had purchased, but the store initially said they wouldn't cover because it was my fault. I called the Applecare phone support, explained what the situation was and that these screws had backed themselves out. They issued a case humber and I took it to my Apple Service Provider, they fixed it straight away and it works fine to this day.

8. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Maybe it is just the photo - but your lower case looks to be dented :confused:

9. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Yeah, i noticed that too. in that case...then it seems like it is your fault, tbh.

10. Naoko macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with the mac i bought in 2008. Apple refused to fix it, saying it was a "cosmetic" issue. They told me that it wouldnt get worse and of course they were wrong. The laptop is now not usable and the bezel has completely broken in half on both sides. It has been broken for over a year. I am in the process now of purchasing a new bezel which will cost me a little under $100. much less than the $800 apple told me i would have to pay them to fix it. My advice: never buy another apple product.

**also, if you want to try and continue to use it, what helped me for awhile was duck-tape. This is not a permanent fix, but it may get u by for a few months or u could just spend $100 or so to buy a new bezel and put it together urself. there are great step by step videos online**

11. ZTuned macrumors member

Same exact thing happened to my 15'' 2007 Macbook Pro a few months ago. It began with a very faint crack on the right side bezel and it eventually cracked all the way through. I was pretty surprised because I had major hinge problems with my previous laptop (Titanium Powerbook) and thought Apple would have addressed it in the Macbook's. Well, eventually the same faint line appeared on the other side of the bezel and before I knew it, cracked through just like the right side. I've never dropped, banged, or caused any damage to the laptop, it's been babied for the last three years. It's an obvious stress point and a design flaw which should absolutely be covered under warranty.

Luckily I still have Applecare until June, so I will bring it in for repair when I pick up the new 2010 MBP. I can't be a week without a laptop, it's my primary computer...

In the meantime though, grab few medium sized binder clips and clamp them where it cracked. If you haven't already cracked the other side of the bezel, you will soon if you don't support it. Ghetto? Yes. Effective? You bet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]