Screen Hinge Creaking?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, May 7, 2012.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

On all three MacBooks that I've owned, I keep experiencing the problem of screen hinge creaking.

My 2008 Macbook Pro's lid randomly decided to become misaligned from the lower body, and started creaking loudly and annoyingly.

My 2009 13" Macbook Pro's lid just started creaking.

My 2011 15" Macbook Pro's lid also became misaligned and started creaking loudly.

Why do all of the Macs I've owned do this? None of the store display models do it. Also, why does the screen hinge of the 15" get misaligned so easily? I've accidentally run my 13" over with a small car, and the hinge is still perfectly in place (but this was years before it started creaking).

Do you think I can get a repair on my 15" Macbook Pro? It was purchased in January 2011, but I've babied all of my electronics (except for the car incident - that was an accident).

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Probably won't get a free repair, but it is possible.

I would focus more on the alignment issue if you try, taking the tack of "I'm worried this poorly aligned hinge will cause more problems down the road."

3. NewGuyHere macrumors regular

Maybe it could pass as a cosmetic defect if your warranty is still on. If it bothers you that much, open it up and tighten the screws, also maybe lube it up with something.

4. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

So would you say that this is what I should get at? I've taken my Macbook down for dust maintenance before, and I know that getting all the little screws off the backplate is a PITA. I'd just like some confirmation before I start. Thanks!

5. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

I'll tell you right now, its probably not loose unless you can feel play in the display. Unless you can feel that the hinge isn't screwed down (it would wobble badly), tightening those isn't going to resolve the squeak.

Loosening those screws and tightening them back up is how you re-align a MBP display, and it isn't a ton of fun.