screen hinge weak? Too much play

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noles200, Jun 15, 2009.

1. noles200 macrumors member

Ok, so on my old white 13" MB when I pick up the computer to take it to another room with the screen open it would never move back and forth. When I would tilt it at a 45% angle it wouldn't move.

Now I just purchased a new 15" MBP (sweet btw). My only issue seems to be that when I tilt the computer 45% or more the screen almost closes.

Is it a weak hinge? Can that be tightened at an apple store (I am lucky and have 4 that are within about 35 to 40 minutes here in NJ)?

I would open it up myself and take a look but since it's only a couple days old and I have 2 weeks with it I'd prefer to take it back to get fixed or replaced so I don't think I should open it.

2. veterator macrumors member

veterator

My screen moves very easily compared to others I have owned, but not a loose as what you are describing. If yours is that floppy you might take it back and have them check it. I would play around with others at the store to make sure mine was in line with the actions of others.

3. noles200 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks veterator. I think I'm going to do exactly that. If the screens in the store are the same I guess that I'll live with it. I'm going to bring mine with me just in case they are not as flimsy as mine.

4. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

I have the same issue... did you check out the store for comparisons? And are they all like this?

Let me know.

5. jshelton macrumors 6502a

My white Macbook had a pretty solid hinge, but I noticed the lid on the 13 MBP I bought seemed loose. I ended up exchanging it due to screen issues (that I conjured out of thin air), and the new one is the same way.

I wouldn't worry about it. I have figured out in the past few weeks that this forum will make you insane and overly particular. It's just a computer. You have a 1 year warranty, and AppleCare if you choose to. Enjoy your computer and don't spend every second trying to find a defect. :D

6. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

THanks for the update. Since I got my hard-case Speck Satin cover for my MBP I have been much more relaxed :cool:. The weak hinge or design is poor for usablity as I cannot use my laptop on my lap unless I sit at a 90 degree angle ± 30 degree or avoid making any sudden movements.

7. noles200 thread starter macrumors member

I did check them out at the store and they are all the same. I was told, and it sounds legit, that because it is all aluminum the screen does way a bit more. I've since gotten used to it.

8. Belm macrumors regular

This is so true. I don't even have one yet and this board is making me paranoid.