Screen Identical to iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Contradict, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Contradict macrumors newbie

A little while ago I was trawling through this forum and I came across a monitor that was modelled in the image of an Imac - but i foolishly never saved the link.

Does anyone know what the name of this manufacturer is or post a link for me please.

Thank you

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

3. Contradict, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014

Contradict thread starter macrumors newbie

Why do people on here have to be so pedantic?

It obviously isn't identical...

Do you know what i'm talking about?

Also just so u know I'm actually writing this on a nice 2013 27" iMac - I however have a need for a second screen and would like the screens to be as close to each other in design as is possible..I saw the monitor I speak of and consider this to be the one I want.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

When you said identical you were the one being pedantic.

If that is your requirement then your only two options are to purchase a second iMac and use it as a second display for your primary iMac or purchase the 27" Cinema/Thunderbolt Display. Anything else would not "be as close to each other in design as is possible."

5. Contradict thread starter macrumors newbie

Now i asked for something very specific.

If i wanted to purchase a 2nd Imac I would.

I have no need for a cinema display or I would get one.

What I want is the screen that I saw on here. I can obviously trawl the forum to find this random link again but I don't really like my chances.

Alternatively the nice person who posted the link in the 1st place will hopefully see my thread and point me in the right direction.

brand - I don't actually see why you felt the need to reply as you clearly are unable to assist me in any way shape or form.

With the utmost respect please do not respond unless you are able to tell me where i might find the very specific information I am looking for.

Thank You

6. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

If you can live with 1920x1080 than you may be referring to one of these two displays:

AOC I2757Fh
    ASUS 27MX279H

If you're looking for a secondary display that has a 2560x1440 resolution like the iMac, your options will be much less abundant. All are fairly pricey and if you're going to spend that much you might as well spring for a Thunderbolt Display given it's aesthetics and functionality.

7. CH12671 macrumors 6502

I disagree. You can get 1440p monitors for less than half the price of the tbd, including the planar I referenced above. Monoprice is another good source for reasonably priced 1440 monitors

8. PatriotInvasion, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014

PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Fair enough, but if I'm spending $500+ on a product, I wouldn't be able to do so on a brand I've never even heard of. Just feel like you reach a certain dollar amount where the risk/reward factor of going "on the cheap" makes less sense.

EDIT: Despite never hearing of Planar, that model does seem pretty nice and they have an impressive warranty. Good advice for the OP.

Double EDIT: Why do these external monitors still have big clunky VGA inputs? Who would buy one of these and connect to it via VGA in 2014? Move on!

9. Contradict thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much i think the planar one is closest to what i was looking for...although i do not remember it being black...not that it matters a great deal.

Now all i need to find is someone who sells those for a decent price in uk.

10. MacPC, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

MacPC macrumors regular

Last year I bought a 27" monitor from Amazon for about USD$300.00, a brand no one ever heard of. It came directly from South Korea within two days! QNIX QX2710 Evolution II 27" LED Monitor. This monitor works great for me, it is less than half the price of the Apple 27" cinema display and rumor has it that the LCD panel is the same as Apple uses. But you do need a Apple Mini MB571Z/A DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter which is about USD$100 and add your own web cam if you need it. I highly recommend the monitor. perhaps you like to check it out :)

11. CH12671 macrumors 6502

We use Planar almost exclusively at work...they are great monitors. And you would be amazed at how many video cards are still analog....the D-SUB connector isn't going anywhere anytime soon!