Screen impact resistance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcorbin, Feb 7, 2017.

1. jcorbin macrumors 6502a

how impact resistant are iPhone 7 plus screens? I ask because I a) had a near miss and caught my phone but gave the screen a nice smack in the process and b) have a 2 year old that occasionally needs appeasement in the form of Mickey Mouse clubhouse and "taps" the screen to show me her favorite character

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You may want to invest in a Otterbox type case for optimal protection rather than take a chance that the screen can take a blow.

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Zero to none, especially if it hits the curved edges. I've dropped mine from less than 8-10 inches and spiderwebbed the whole screen.

4. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a defender. But hat doesn't really protect against my 2 year old's tapping. I'm not asking so much about drops. More hitting screen with ones hand harder than during normal use

5. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I thought maybe it was just me (and bad luck) that I dropped my 6s on my carpeted living room floor and got a spider crack. :)

OP: you are probably safe, but anything can and will happen.

Pardon my asking, but why would you not take the phone away from your infant if he/she started to explore what this shiny device is.

6. jcorbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

She's 2 and knows what a phone is. And in the grocery store when she's misbehaving and I just need to get through my shopping I give it to her and turn on Disney junior. Pls no parenting advice.

7. NewtonPippin macrumors regular

8. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

And none offered.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2017 ---
    Goes without saying...but people will be people.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Which really doesn't have much to do with the actual topic at hand.

10. john.simatos macrumors newbie

Get yourself an tempered glass screen protector, and worst case that will break before the screen does. I've honestly never had an issue with bashing the screen head on. I've only smashed mine when I had it in my pocket and clipped the corner of a brick wall. You have to put quite a bit of pressure on the glass before it breaks.

11. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

And some people just like to throw in their opinions unnecessarily to provoke others. OP didn't give his kid an iPhone for keeping, he just lets his kid watch stuff on it which is perfectly normal.
    I would assume that since force touch was implemented, Apple would've done multiple tests in order to ensure that the screen can withstand even something like hard tapping. Unless your kid doesnt poke it with a tough pointed object or drops it, your iPhone should be fine. A regular tempered glass screen protector will suffice.

12. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

The glass protector doesn't mean it breaks before the screen.

I had one on my 6s at the time it got the spider crack. The protector is still undamaged.

13. john.simatos macrumors newbie

Again, he's talking about putting pressure on the screen. Not dropping it on a corner.

14. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I know what the OP asked.

I'm just saying that putting a glass protector on the phone doesn't mean the screen is proof against all damage.

15. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

When it comes to hard impacts? Practically nothing; the screen is glass. It will probably break.

Normal usage, including two-year-olds rapping at the screen, no problem I'd say. Human hands are fairly soft. I wouldn't thump the screen with adult knuckles, that might damage the LCD panel or maybe cause outright cracking, but kiddie hands should be quite alright.

Of course, kids are clumsy (and often inattentive), so chances are your phone will suddenly dive to the floor, and then all bets are off of course...

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The problem with making the screen scratch resistant is that is also makes the screen more brittle.